Bar-mount Manual Chain Sharpener / File Holder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a used Oregon, all metal, made in Italy and used it last night on a chain for the first time.

I've been hand filing for years, but I just don't feel like my accuracy is good enough to give me consistent and optimal sharpness.

I'm just the same.

It sharpened a 36" .404 which cut a 140 year old red oak today. I'm sold on this gadget. :clap:

I have been using a Granberg File-N-Joint for almost 30 years and love it.I can do it as fast as someone hand filing and get all the angles on all the cutters the same.

I wore out the Granberg, but for 30$ it was a good deal and got me throught till I could afford the Stihl set up. The Stihl has a brass roller and that is what I wore out on the Granberg, otherwise it worked fine for me. Never liked the Oregon ones, too flimmsy. But if that is what the wallet can spare for get it, they make the job easier by helping you do it right the first time. JJuday

I just bought a Granberg from Bailey's and cannot return it fast enough. I sat with it for over an hour but for the life of me could not figure out how to work it. I really think it was designed by sadistic engineers out to annoy people. It's totally insane.

Back to square one. I'm ok, not great with hand filing a chain. Are there any better options than the Granberg device that don't cost a fortune?

Just a cheap clip on file guide, that is about you last option if you don't use bar mount, free hand or abrassive wheel type on a grinder. Granberg wasn't hard for me to understand, they have instructions on the website. JJuday

I have what I think is the Husky branded one - looks a lot like the Oregon, but I'm not real sure. My first attempt to use the damm thing was less than inspiring. First off, the thumb screw you tighten to secure the contraption to the bar had rolled-out thread ends, not machined, so it had a skewed tip - impossible to tighten down without the whole mess wobbling out of alignment. I wound up flat-grinding the butt-end of the screw to smooth-out the installation - a good bit better but still omething that should have been done before it was packaged. Next, I noted the stamped steel chain-holder-downers don't do a real good job of holding the chain stationary- -it flops side-to-side preventing a consisten angle unless I manuall hold the chain. Bar grooves are OK - I'm not talking a LOT of movement, just a ton more than I'd expect from a jig designed to produce consistent/precise filing.

I bought the Oregon from TSC a couple years ago. I had the same miserable experience and then I returned it. Today I saw an old Granberg at a junk shop. It was cheap, so I decided to grab it. I cleaned it up and gave it some oil.
I love this thing. It's a breeze to set up and use and it locks on solid like you would expect. Today I trued up some chains that were probably headed for the trash bin. I'll buy a new Granberg if/when I wear this one out.
I was pretty close to buying an electric grinder. I think I'll wait a bit now.

There are at least 2 versions of the Oregon brand ones currently available. One sells in the $20- $30 range and has more plastic pieces. One sells in the $30 - $40 range and has more metal (although still die cast). Older ones may be different.

I bought and used the more expensive 'pro' version until I felt like I got the hang of the right angles, etc. Ended up selling it on Craig's List when I no longer used it.

I think that they can be good as a training aid, or to periodically get your cutters back to the same, consistent angles, hook, etc. You can also mount one on an old or extra bar in a vise at your workbench, so that you can file multiple chains without having to mount each one on the saw.

They can be a little fussy to set up, especially when you are first learning to use them.

Philbert

I just bought a Granberg from Bailey's and cannot return it fast enough. I sat with it for over an hour but for the life of me could not figure out how to work it. I really think it was designed by sadistic engineers out to annoy people. It's totally insane.

Back to square one. I'm ok, not great with hand filing a chain. Are there any better options than the Granberg device that don't cost a fortune?

I just don't understand why some can't use the Granberg.It is so simple to figure out by just looking at how the angles change on the adjustable parts.Just line the file up to your chain cutter angels and go.When did Granberg first start making these?Mine I thought I got in 1983.A guy in the body shop at work got one and gave it to me for a tune up on his saw I did.Said he could not figure it out.My brother got one last year and like it alot and had no problem with it.I might like mine alot because I use it pulling from the inside out.It sharpenes quite quick this way for firewood cutting.

Granberg

I see this thead has been around awhile, I asked about the Granberg way back when , I have to say I love the bar mount Granberg , would not be with out it. I have two , so I dont have to change the setting.

TEDMI

000_0764.jpg

000_0766.jpg

000_0765.jpg

You can also mount one on an old or extra bar in a vise at your workbench, so that you can file multiple chains without having to mount each one on the saw.

What I like about it is not having to remove the chain from the saw, as I would have to with a grinder.

They can be a little fussy to set up, especially when you are first learning to use them.

The (cheap) Oregon one I had was fussy. The Granberg seems effortless. No doubts weather I have it correct or not, and it stays solid.
I wish I kept the Oregon so I could compare them and figure out why it was so worthless.

I have two , so I dont have to change the setting.
I just got mine and it seems like it only takes me a few seconds to change for the other side or for another saw. It would probably take me longer to find my other Granberg if I had two. LOL

Yep, Granberg. I don't often respond to threads this old but when it comes to the Granberg jig I will. I am not a great hand filer but when I use the jig I can get razor edges and consistant angles. My friend Andy does a better job with a bare file but I don't have that kind of control or that kind of vision. The jig makes up for both for me so now my chains are great.

I use it pulling from the inside out.It sharpenes quite quick this way for firewood cutting.
I first read that wrong, but I got to thinking about filing from the outside in ?
It must be wrong because all manuals say to sharpen inside-out, but knives get sharpened outside-in. I dunno. :soldier:

I don't often respond to threads this old
I was just excited about my new toy and I didn't want to get flamed for not searching. I searched and this was the newest so I posted here. Can't win. LOL

Heres some pics of mine and a new one.You can see the differances.Mine is a G-106A and the new one is a G106B.My settings for fire wood are 10,30 as seen in one of the pics.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
but I got to thinking about filing from the outside in ?

If you sharpen from the outside in you eliminate the burr, but run the risk of nicking the chrome plating on the outside or grabbing the final edge with one of the file teeth. That said, full chisel chain is filed that way with thier special files.

I understood wwodyman's comment to mean that his file still files from the inside out, but that he pulls it instead of pushing it, using the Granberg to guide the file.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back