Bar Nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well I have read many threads on this site but I am unable to recall any on the proper torque of bar nuts.Not the salty ones that you nibble on while watching a foot ball game, but the ones holding the cover over the clutch.Is their a reasonable tightness with out stripping the stud?( This ought to be a good thread) I suspect just down snug plus a quarter turn ext, Ken

I grab the head of the scrench with the palm of my hand and give a firm twist. Never stripped a bar stud and the chain holds tight. If I do have to retention the chain. I dont see myself carrying a torque wrench into the woods.

i do it up until l it fells good you don't need that fancy crap for something that you have built into your body called feeling:clap:

253284d1347969216-img_0474-jpg
View attachment 253284
Well I have read many threads on this site but I am unable to recall any on the proper torque of bar nuts.Not the salty ones that you nibble on while watching a foot ball game, but the ones holding the cover over the clutch.Is their a reasonable tightness with out stripping the stud?( This ought to be a good thread) I suspect just down snug plus a quarter turn ext, Ken

They are all in Newton Meters and this is for a 046

I learned not to follow Dad's example when tightening anything. Learned by trying to undo some of his work. "As tight as it will go plus 1/2 turn".

Harry K

Funny my pop always said I tightened everything "half a turn from breaking". Oddly I have lost a more bar-nuts than I care to recall, enough that I may consider ms261 clutch covers for all my saws one would fit on.

dw

ok,, i just can't leave this one alone

if you over tighten the nuts then you will loose the stud then its time to buy more batteries
sorry,, i couldn't resist

I grab the head of the scrench with the palm of my hand and give a firm twist. Never stripped a bar stud and the chain holds tight. If I do have to retention the chain. I dont see myself carrying a torque wrench into the woods.

I "choke up" on the scrench until both my thumb and index finger are gripping the wrench barrel itself, not the screwdriver handle. Keeps me from over tightening, and I've never had a problem with stripping the bolt.

Ive always had a problem with my nuts...I think the torque is double the spark plug torque:hmm3grin2orange:

I dont carry a calibrated torque wrench in the woods. If you use a scrench youd prolly impress every one by stripping the threads. Im guessing thats why a scench is designed and sized the way it is. Using a 1/2 inch drive socket im sure you could do a niffty job of stripping em

Latest posts

Back