Bar oil turned to jello

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horrigan72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have a Partner s50 that was passed down to me years ago. I bought some bar oil made from corn oil (huge mistake) years ago at Home depot and the stuff gelled in the tank over the winter. Its been years now since I shelved it. Thinking I'd like to fix this if I can but I need to dissolve this garbage.

Has this ever happened to anyone? What did you do if anything? I have put some in seafoam and another gob in kerosene to see if either dissolve it. That was a few minutes ago. Going to give it 24 hrs. Part of the problem is the cast lines in the engine case and trying to get them cleaned out as well.

See the pictures
70c45e3fab2321a7ae631b194dd725eb.jpg
4e04e907a7a4688ff78f276281cb0eb8.jpg
dd662541dabff920a4dc0968cb511132.jpg
15ef2345787288c5d30093f1fb0d3cd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Can you get a air nozzle from the bar oiler side to push out the gunk thru the filler hole? Maybe add some diesel to it to break it down during the process? Just my first thoughts on tackling a issue like this

I had that in a Mac 610 I picked up cheap. I assumed someone put cooking oil in it. I had to totally tear it down and boil all the parts in water and dish soap to dissolve the waxy buildup.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I started using vegetable oil purchased at Sam's Club a few years ago as it was recommended by some west coast loggers and had the same problem of it solidifying in cold temps. I now mix it with other bar oil brands with no problems. Started doing this after getting some bar oil at TSC that looked and smelled worse than waste oil.

I've seen this happen with bio based oils when they react with petroleum based oils and certain solvents. Thank got it was a chainsaw tank and not the sump on your truck, has been an issue with guys running DIY veg diesel in their trucks.

Update:

Seafoam and kerosene did nothing to the gelatinous corn bar oil. I bought some "Diesel 911" that is for fuel gelling and is supposed to work on bio fuels as well. I'm hoping this is effective but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I will advise.

So I got really busy and forgot about this saw for a bit. I finally tried Diesel 911 and its working! It appears to be dissolving all of it and liquifying. I'll keep you guys posted but I hope this helps some others out there. This saw was shelved for nearly 10 years after the bar oil gummed up.
d21090ae4073c1d22c3b421b9c916776.jpg

Ordinary gasoline is a surprisingly strong solvent, even stronger than mineral spirits. The strongest solvent I have ever played around with is acetone. That stuff will clean and restore a $40 paint brush hardened up with oil-based paint that's been dry for a year.

Latest posts

Back