Stihl Lightning HELP!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19Chevy50

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright so as you can see from the title. I need help. I picked up a Stihl Lightning saw about a week ago and I have many questions. I got this on a trade and I am planning on restoring it.

Firstly, what do I have here? It does have the cast aluminum top on it, the muffler, and no oil button and I’ve read that that is a rare thing? Pardon me for being clueless…

This saw runs great but does have some scouring on the piston and cylinder, pretty light. Is there a place to get rings/pistons for it that aren’t Chinese garbage?

Like I said, I’m planning on restoring it so any help in that realm would be greatly appreciated too! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2764.jpeg
    IMG_2764.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nice find
Especially with the aluminum top.
Finding a piston and rings should be fairly easy as they are the same as the 070.You may be able to clean up the cylinder.
Lots of information on the Lightning Contra info sharing thread.
If you go to the beg for manual thread and ask for the manual someone will send them to you.

My advise,

1). Only swap out the broken / damaged parts for genuine NOS stihl and only when it affects the function. Otherwise leave it original

2). DON’T paint it! Leaving the original powdercoat / patina is the most valuable thing you can do. Painting it will look terrible and destroy all its value.

3). Less is more - these old saws need to be treated with care. Threads can strip easily, paint can flake easily etc. when parts break they are very hard to find. Don’t dig into it unless you have to.

Edit to add: My advice is to leave it well alone. Stick it on a shelf and enjoy it. They are hard to come by and are worth a fair bit of $. Yours looks great with the patina and character.

Back