Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the issue. Someone ask's for advice, and goes against the advice, and say's everyone was wrong, and they know better. Well than, WTF did they ask for the advise for in the first place!!!!!!!!! I know the saw he has, I've used it, my dad owns one. While a 20 inch bar can be installed and used on the saw, it is in no way the "optimum" bar for the saw. To say the full 20 inch bar is being used, and the saw is performing well, is bs. Period. Sure, the cuts are being made, if the chain is sharp, but it isn't the best for the saw.

I have a 24 inch bar for my 036, it's not the best for it, and it does not perform the best with it, but the couple times I needed the length, it worked. I usually run a 16 inch on one and a 20 inch on the other.

Vman said:
. . . i will be the first to say i have learned a great deal of info, tricks, and advice on felling, stumping, bucking, chain sharpening, saw repair, and maintenance on this site. . .

Hey Vman, this is a chainsaw forum...why do you have to bring up this stuff. I love saws but that all reminds me of shovels and stuff. :) HAHAHA

woodturner said:
Well, not to be mean, but, maybe your Dad doesn't know how to use the saw?

The saw works for me, even tho ya'll don't want to acknowledge it.

LMAO!

OK Vegetable oil. Maybe for butchering animals but for me it would have to be an elephant or more like a blue whale! We have quartered many an Elk here in ELY NV and have never needed a chain saw! My cousin just got back from an Alaskan Moose hunt and he has never heard of anyone using a chain saw on a moose. (Not saying it hasnt happened but why?)

As far as using motor oil as bar lube again why? (If you have a choice that is) I went with a friend 3 weeks ago to cut wood and he forgot his bar lube jug ( I wasnt cutting just helping out so I didnt have my chainsaw or gear). I carry 6 quarts of motor oil in my truck (part of my off road kit) and we used some this instead of heading back to town (45 minutes one way). That was an exception. But why would someone choose to use motor oil? I mean bar lubed is specifically designed to lube your bar and chain. Motor oil is not. It runs out and splatters everywhere. What a mess. The bar lube holds onto the bar and chain much better than motor oil. Also Bar lubed at my local RIP YOU OFF lumber yard (only game in town for 3 1/2 hrs any direction) charged me $6.99 for a gallon of STIHL bar lube. Yes thats a bit pricey but still works out to about $1.88 a quart (after taxes). Thats about what you would pay for CRAP motor oil which would be the absolute LOWEST grade of Petrolium oil out there. When I was in the store they even had a winter version of Bar lube by Stihl. So again why would anyone use motor oil as there bar lube? The number one reason I have seen around here is that they are #1 cheap and use the cheapest oil they can find and #2 dont know there is a diffrence between motor oil and bar lube. But mainly #1. My .10 cents worth.

hokiebob1 said:
hey Sedanman-who's your buddy from Texaco? I worked at the research center there from 88 to 96 and we likely know each other.

bob campbell

So, Bob, does that info check out? I was just bought a quart of Stihl bar lube last Saturday, because I decided I didn't want to trust some generic 10w-30 that I had laying around. (Left there by the previous owner of the house. Gotta use it for something!)

Did I waste my money?

Is the regular Husqvarna bar oil petro based? My 359 owner's manual says they use a veggie-based bar oil, but then their website says the Pro Forest oil is veggie but makes no mention of the standard oil formulation. It does not smell like motor oil, so I was curious what was in there.

Stihl, Husky, Jonsered etc. all offer expensive bio-degradable bar oil which if memory serves me right are all veggie based.

Now as far as bar length goes IMHO 20inches is long for a 3 hp saw but it certainly is used by many. For optimum performance on a 3 hp saw 14 to 16 inches is surely best.

I do not recall 100% but I believe that for every extra inch in bar length you increase, the chain itself increases in length by 4-5 inches or so. The longer bar length you go, the longer the chain you have to turn, the more friction you have, the more all this robs usable power from the engine and the lower your saws performance. ;)

Lobo said:
....... I do not recall 100% but I believe that for every extra inch in bar length you increase, the chain itself increases in length by 4-5 inches or so.
Lobo, I agree with everything else in your post, but for an inch longer bar the chain will "just" have to be two inches longer, or a tad more due to the curved profile of the bar.

Latest posts

Back