Bar Oil ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftybigdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question for you guys. I have alot of diesel equipment and I run the Amsoil 15W40 synthetic and I was curious can I run the old oil as bar oil in my chainsaws? I have plenty of bar oil now but I was wondering if I can run this as bar oil and not take it to the recycle place. Thank you

I prolly wouldn't if i were you. For one bar oil isn't that expensive, and two your taking a heck of a chance putting used oil in your chainsaw. It wouldn't take to many fill-ups of dirty oil to really screw your oiler up. I know Amsoil is good stuff, but to me used oil (no matter how clean it looks) is still used oil. And if your saw is new enough, it may also void your warrenty, but don't hold me to that.

Bar Oil is specific

Even if it was clean 15W40, No, not on a regular basis.

Bar Oil has tackifiers added so that it does not just fling off the end of the bar as the chain makes the turn, and more stays on the chain as it returns down the bar to the sprocket. Even Veggie-based Bar Oil has the tackifiers.

Recycle, don't Re-use your dirty oil.

RedlineIt

The refine oil has tiny metal shavings in it it will destroy your clutch bar and chain.it also loses viscosity so it will not stick to chain or bar don't use it.It will destroy your saw.

Well there's probably quite a few that will cringe on this.

USED OIL IS ALL THAT I USE FOR OVER THREE YEARS NOW. IF IT'S FREE I'LL TAKE IT. ( over $7 a gallon for bar and chain here)
I have a strainer set up (add a magnet if you prefer)
You can always mix 50/50 and still save a bundle.

Bars, chain, clutch, oil pumps Never a problem for me. Not just the average cutting either, I'm talkin' 1000's of trees.
When I'm out Falling Timber for production I'll go through approx. 4-6 gals. of oil a week. I may not be to good at math but that seems like a pile a savings to me.
Yeah sometimes I get a batch that smells a bit but I just swap it around.

Used motor oil is a carginogen. It's toxic. It stinks. I do not want it flung on my skin. I do not want it ruining my chaps and gloves.

As mentioned, even though oils made for diesels have greater base additives like Ca and Mg (TBN) to control the acidity or combusted/partially combusted fuel, the used oil may be corrosive to your equipment. This, combined with fine particles of wear metals, will accelerate the damage of your saw. It is a false economy to employ used crankcase lubricant as a bar oil.

Just about every customer I have is savvy enough to get very upset if I were to use their soil and groundwater as a place to dump my used motor oil. Most of my customers are on very expensive properties, some are like nature preserves. It won't take them (or their lawyers) long to figure out that used oil might contain partially burned hydrocarbon carcinogens, cadmium, benzene, zinc, lead, and chlorinated compounds. It only takes a small amount of used motor oil to contaminate large amounts of drinking water or an aquatic system. Doing a soil reclamation project for $20,000+ is a quick way to minimize profits.

Latest posts

Back