Bar wear findings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I remembered mention of a new Stihl bar factory in Virginny Beach.

The price of stihl bars turns me away from them. A 20" stihl es was a few dollars more than a 28" tsumura bar.

Slap dealer harder.

Stihl's bars are expensive but they seem to hold up. Tsumora bars MSRP fairly high as well, not in the Cannon/Stihl stratosphere but certainly up there if a person does not have a good dealer near by.

Tsumora 24" sprocket tips are over $70.00 MSRP + tax around here. Best bar for the buck.

I got my 24" tsumura was $50 out the door. Stihl 20" es was $60 plus tax.

I got my 24" tsumura was $50 out the door. Stihl 20" es was $60 plus tax.

d@mn that really high for the ES bar. just grabbed a 28 ES for $60 out the door from my dealer.

25 is $55. both prices including tax of 6%.

As long as the chain still stays on, what difference does it make if the paint is worn and the edges have some burs? I really can't see what difference it makes.:msp_confused:

So, you feel and edge or you don't feel an edge? :confused:

I guess since I can see where the chain has been riding it makes me think an edge is formed.

I was just posting what I noticed on the bars I have. I think barring getting bent badly as tsumura bar will probably last longer than a stihl bar before the rails need dressed.

As long as the chain still stays on, what difference does it make if the paint is worn and the edges have some burs? I really can't see what difference it makes.:msp_confused:

I was taught to dress the bar when burrs can be felt, since the forming of burrs increases the likelyhood of the chain knocking little pieces of the rail off, damaging the bar.

Bars that need dressed will wear one side of the bar rail more than the other sometimes making it cut a little crooked also. That's why flipping the bar ever so often helps wear them evenly and dressing when needed.

I was taught to dress the bar when burrs can be felt, since the forming of burrs increases the likelyhood of the chain knocking little pieces of the rail off, damaging the bar.

True. I use my Pferd bar dressing tool regularly to keep the rails square. The other day I sent my 36" 660 up the hill so the faller could buck a 3'+ euc off the rootball. He could only work from one side, his saw was a little too short. He told me later on that the saw was a badazz and cut straight. I suppose uneven rails and crooked cuts don't matter when the wood is 18" but double that and the saw had better cut straight.

2046075490104137097S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back