Bar wear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm just a homeowner trying to get by. The power line hacks came thru and left the usual mess. I was using my ms-290 to clean up what they left. The chain/bar started smoking near the end and I pushed it to get done. It was throwing plenty of oil. After it cooled down and I took the chain off ( which was sharpened earlier) the outer edge of the bar had a sharp wire like edge. What caused this and what did I do wrong? The bar is a little blue from the heat, is it toast? I always check that the chain is throwing oil before cutting. Thanks and don't beat me too bad.

I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm just a homeowner trying to get by. The power line hacks came thru and left the usual mess. I was using my ms-290 to clean up what they left. The chain/bar started smoking near the end and I pushed it to get done. It was throwing plenty of oil. After it cooled down and I took the chain off ( which was sharpened earlier) the outer edge of the bar had a sharp wire like edge. What caused this and what did I do wrong? The bar is a little blue from the heat, is it toast? I always check that the chain is throwing oil before cutting. Thanks and don't beat me too bad.
You have to dress your bar.

Moondoggie,
So are you saying other than that I'm not doing anything wrong? Thanks, I have it off now and will clean it up and check the groove. I thought it might be toast. I knew I could conut on this site.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/728910/Husqvarna-560xp.html?page=16#manual

Moondoggie,
So are you saying other than that I'm not doing anything wrong? Thanks, I have it off now and will clean it up and check the groove. I thought it might be toast. I knew I could conut on this site.
Moondoggie,
click the link I posted above. It explains it well.

image.jpg A bar should last for at least 200 cords or more depending upon cutting conditions and maintenance it receives.
A smoking bar and chain means something is severely wrong, such as wrong pitch, tip bearings shot, dull chain and forcing the saw to cut.
I use at least 15 different bars at any given time and most of them I've had for 17 years or more. I dress them long before they ever get a burr or wire edge. A wire edge always leads to chipping of the rails.
Rails do wear, but should wear uniformaly.
Note the uniform wear in this GB bar that Ive had for over 15 years that I had to change the tip on, which I will grind later to blend in.

Might also check the sprocket on the saw. I have seen them needing changed and running it in that condition created a lot of heat.

Might also check the sprocket on the saw. I have seen them needing changed and running it in that condition created a lot of heat.
Very true, I've seen rim and spur sprockets so worn that the side straps of the chain were riding in the sprocket and the drivers were worn off.

Back