Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My assumption is that the tree fell when he got the COG just over center, therefore the entire 2.4" of wedge lift was what was required (11.3deg)

Still, this is 2017 and we don't do word problems this way anymore, so I have adapted it to more modern expectations:

Today's fun problem:
It took Singin' Sailly (who used to be Billy) a 2.4 " wedge lift to fell the tree. The back of tree to pivot was 2ft,
Based on a 12" back cut to pivot with a 1" WL = 5°
Sally had to had to overcome 11.3deg of back lean.

How did Sally feel about having to hit the wedge with a hammer? Please discuss, there are no wrong answers.

The answer is Jack.

Forgot your drawing...lol
How about 1" WL = 5° at a 12" wedge point to pivot ×2 = 10°
10% of 5° = .5 × 4 points =2° total 12°
12° ÷2 = 6°

Whatever! I guess we are both right
Everybody is right, there are no wrong answers. This is the good morning thread:drinkingcoffee:

This thread has been interesting to see all the different ways to skin a cat.
It also brings to light how the considerations vary depending on the end result desired. ie, fallers trying to save the wood, tree service guys trying to save the structure, line clearance guys trying to save the wires. etc.
I'm in the structure saving category. Nearly every tree I fell is within striking distance of something expensive. I have absolutely no concern what happens to the "logs" as they will either be firewood or get burned depending on specie. I typically tie off every tree I fell unless it is sectioned out. Yes, I use wedges but while a wedge can influence a tree, it does not have the same level of certainty as having a line in the tree. I typically place a bull rope (rhymes with pull rope, lol) about 2/3 of the way up the tree. This can vary but that's approximate. I tension the line (the truck driver does on my instruction) before I make any cuts on the tree. I check the tension by shaking the rope and can "feel" when the tension is where I want it. I then make the face cut. I will usually go back and check line tension again and have it snugged up a bit more. I then go back and make the back cut. I signal for pull as desired during this process by indicating distance to move the truck. (usually in less than one foot increments). When the tree starts to move, I give the "go for it" signal at which time the driver rapidly backs up. (I always try to have the driver viewing me through the windshield so she is pulling backwards unless we're using a pulley block.) It's not uncommon to spend an hour or more getting one tree on the ground. So nothing like falling in the forest. Another difference is that every single tree MUST go exactly on target. It's a nice feeling when they hit the ground. (and often the homeowner is observing and they're always visibly pleased as well)

@rwoods Only if you are a millenial:wtf:
:lol:

Too old. However, I did receive a diecast toy tractor as a consolation prize once when I was about 4 years old. I came in last in a foot race with older boys. My older brother was furious. Looking back, I believe it was a leftover prize from not having enough entries for the age group I should have been competing in. Never got to play with it - next older brother threw it at the upset brother and it broke. Scarred me for life I suppose.

On a more serious note, folks who haven't should read the first post in this thread in the arborist forum:
Read this if you are new to cutting trees down (or are just bored).

Sorry I don't know how to link it.

Ron

This thread has been interesting to see all the different ways to skin a cat.
It also brings to light how the considerations vary depending on the end result desired. ie, fallers trying to save the wood, tree service guys trying to save the structure, line clearance guys trying to save the wires. etc.
I'm in the structure saving category. Nearly every tree I fell is within striking distance of something expensive. I have absolutely no concern what happens to the "logs" as they will either be firewood or get burned depending on specie. I typically tie off every tree I fell unless it is sectioned out. Yes, I use wedges but while a wedge can influence a tree, it does not have the same level of certainty as having a line in the tree. I typically place a bull rope (rhymes with pull rope, lol) about 2/3 of the way up the tree. This can vary but that's approximate. I tension the line (the truck driver does on my instruction) before I make any cuts on the tree. I check the tension by shaking the rope and can "feel" when the tension is where I want it. I then make the face cut. I will usually go back and check line tension again and have it snugged up a bit more. I then go back and make the back cut. I signal for pull as desired during this process by indicating distance to move the truck. (usually in less than one foot increments). When the tree starts to move, I give the "go for it" signal at which time the driver rapidly backs up. (I always try to have the driver viewing me through the windshield so she is pulling backwards unless we're using a pulley block.) It's not uncommon to spend an hour or more getting one tree on the ground. So nothing like falling in the forest. Another difference is that every single tree MUST go exactly on target. It's a nice feeling when they hit the ground. (and often the homeowner is observing and they're always visibly pleased as well)
Good post!
I worked with a Certified Utility Arborist (CUA) contracting for BC Hdro. Every time home owner would come around, like if we were cutting there tap, he would pull out his veneer tooth and act special needs
talking with a speach impediment.

"WA out hera twimmin' twees, yeah..twimmin' twee's for Hydwo. ..for BC Hydwo." ...Spit would be flying too.. haha
Too funny! When if you ever get a chance
to do work with out structures then make sure you find the limitations of that species. Like you said , it just doesn't happen! Like a guy working on the line.
We all have to live in the 100% rule. Unfortunately there is more room for complacently with fallers. It's a fast scale.
Some (me included) take more chances on our very own lives than you ever would ever skylining over a glass green house.
Makes no sense, as everything in life can be fixed exept death. Sometimes we don't pay attention to being 100%

Back