Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this thread sucks. Pretty much all I've ever used is a simple face cut of varying depth and a conventional back cut on everything. Cutting a leaner in the direction of lean was especially easy as there wasn't anything to worry about, you knew where it was going to go. I did switch to using humbolt lately as I like the way it should keep the tree from kicking off the stump, but mostly I've been working to get my sloppy cuts to line up.

Now, however, I have to think about all this chairing crap, which seems like a PITA. I blame this thread - if I hadn't read it I'd still be happily whacking down leaners the way I always did. I'm just going to convince myself you guys are a bunch of wusses with your panties in a twist over nothing and forget about it - maybe I'll go back to the sloping back cut like my old man taught me.

LMAO

I got tears running down my cheek
You are a smart AND VERY funny guy Chris. That deserves a 'follow' You aren't still mad that some grade 3 hick gave your a physics lesson are you ..LMAO
Well when it comes to the physics of a combustion engine ..and you talking; if its any consolation, I'm two ears open, cross eyed and tongue hanging to the side.

Thanks for hanging out my friend,
very much my pleasue.

Thank you to all, I've realy enjoyed this
but I have to go now

Lol, it's not something that happens that often, Ive only chaired about a dozen trees since 1981, but it's nice to know how they can be avoided. Most of my chairmanship was due to the deadly dutchman which I didn't understand at the time. Lol.

Mine are from Bitçh U/C's, shallow openings in junk yellow ceder. I usually backbar a few inches out of the front of my Humboldt now to change the compression point. I had a bad one last spring in the Valley on coast Cottonwood.
Running 8 hours instead of 6.5.
I pulled out of my back cut too soon on a lean, the coast hardwoods are **** wood when they are young, way too fast growing. Tired makes for bad judgment.

*EDIT *

Its all about feeling, but this is just it.
I felt it was enough, but a little tired, a little too thick holding wood and a little to much lean.

Very good description! One of the most important parts of the equation is having a fast saw and sawing like you mean it.

"Take my hand dear Lord
walk with me this day
in my heart I know
I will never stray"

God hates a coward!
I'll stay the cource and right the ship ....
if I'm there

I coos bay the maples and alder like that ,none have split on me so far ,if i hear one pop i will run like he did though . I do not care for the school marms like that ,gotta cut em over your head and chips go down your neck .
Man, I'm getting behind lots of post to quote.
IDK if I have mentioned this?
God hates a coward

Mine are from Bitçh U/C's, shallow openings in junk yellow ceder. I usually backbar a few inches out of the front of my Humboldt now to change the compression point. I had a bad one last spring in the Valley on coast Cottonwood.
Running 8 hours instead of 6.5.
I pulled out of my back cut too soon on a lean, the coast hardwoods are **** wood when they are young, way too fast growing. Tired makes for bad judgment.

*EDIT *

Its all about feeling, but this is just it.
I felt it was enough, but a little tired, a little too thick holding wood and a little to much lean.
Good point Jamie about tree age. Some trees as you know have real thick growth rings, which are way more weaker and subject to splitting than some of the ultra fine grain stuff that we find once in a while.

I watched ole BBR's wedging video. No wonder his arms are twice as big as mine. I wasn't there, and besides I am just a firewood hack, but his sequencing was different than I would have expected. I did identify with his missed swings and tiring. Can't help but wonder if he had looked up more that he would have seen the grafted limb - can't say that seeing it would have changed anything except more looking up. Maybe that interlock was what made it so hard though I would have expected some noticeable swing action as he was whacking. He made a good point about the bad possibles of thinning the hinge. One of my bad and dangerous habits.

BBR seems a decent down to earth guy. Would be a bigger fan of his videos if they were shorter.

Ron

Good point Jamie about tree age. Some trees as you know have real thick growth rings, which are way more weaker and subject to splitting than some of the ultra fine grain stuff that we find once in a while.

The hardwoods down there are mainly bad. I say down there because I'm off the Alaska HWY this winter. Cottonwood is good when It gets big as thats when the rings tighten up but as for the other hardwoods; they don't get big.
Maple does, the problem with huge maple this the offset weight that can be a concern. but it is strong though.

Thanks. Would you consider it a worthy purchase for average joe?
I would say yes, absolutely. I haven't read it yet though. Just thumbed through it and saw that and had to post it because we were talking about it like 5 pages ago. I'm working my way through Professional Timber Falling by Douglas Dent. Both were given to me at Xmas.

Latest posts

Back