Barc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climb comp

SI senor. I heard they are in Portland ME this year. Lots of good sasparilla consuming establishments in that town.

Cape Elizabeth to be exact! But I meant a BARC get together locally to practice. If we all suk at our practice, we can just go to the NEC to watch and enjoy the fine establishments you reccommend.

Cape Elizabeth to be exact! But I meant a BARC get together locally to practice. If we all suk at our practice, we can just go to the NEC to watch and enjoy the fine establishments you reccommend.

I've been thinking, there are some monster lindens in Franklin Square (Washington Street in the South End, Boston) might have to to check with OTG and see if we can do a BARC TCC practice climb there. Those trees are calling!
-moss

Parks ?

Hey guys ,

I'm in Canada and often think about climbing in several local parks as access is easy and the trees are perfect . These are urban parks though(well in the city) and I'm not sure if it's allowed . Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission . Do you have any experience climbing in inner city parks where you are ? Only real draw back would be the audience it would surely generate and I don't think I'd be comfortable with that . You see , most of the trees in the wild here are pine and I'm looking to advance my limb walking and TIP skills . What I wouldn't give for a giant old Maple out my door .

Hey guys ,

I'm in Canada and often think about climbing in several local parks as access is easy and the trees are perfect . These are urban parks though(well in the city) and I'm not sure if it's allowed . Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission . Do you have any experience climbing in inner city parks where you are ? Only real draw back would be the audience it would surely generate and I don't think I'd be comfortable with that . You see , most of the trees in the wild here are pine and I'm looking to advance my limb walking and TIP skills . What I wouldn't give for a giant old Maple out my door .

If you're going to climb in parks pick trees that are not over paths or roads in the park. Or over areas that are heavily used by park goers. If you can find out of the way sections of the park that's better. If a police officer or park ranger asks you to get out of the tree, do so without complaint. Wear a helmet while you're climbing, act like a professional, don't carry a saw, don't knock down branches or deadwood, use cambium protectors/friction savers. All that will improve your chances of not getting kicked out. Once you get above 25 feet people hardly notice. You'll be ignored by people on the ground more than you expect, especially if you look like you know what you're doing. Good luck with it!
-moss

Good Thoughts

Thanks for the input Moss . All good points to adhere to . I think I'll scope a few locations out and go early early in the day before most people are out and about . My son will act as ground man and keep an eye on me . That's if I can drag him out of bed .

Back