Bark spuds and peeling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Well, I think I need to get one. Never used one, but have a couple projects coming up where I want to debark the trees before bucking. One will be to get that saleable tulip poplar bark (although haven't looked for a buyer yet), the other is for several pretty decent oaks and shagbark hickories that need to come down, unfortunately with 30+ years of gravel road dust embedded, plus poison ivy vines, which are cut, but haven't dried long enough to pull out easy yet. I am going to axe and trim saw clean the felling area first, fell, then debark, then buck. That's the theory anyway. I am thinking this would be a good tradeoff over resharpening chains ever other cut or so. I looked close at these trees the other day, the dirt is thick, you can see it.

So, who has experience, how well do these things really work, recommendations on what to get, use of tool, and so on. Whatever I should know.

thanks in advance!

www - traditionalwoodworker - com lists various drawknives for your purpose. They're not HF, e.g. Oxhead & Mueller aren't cheap, but they'll likely last as long as you. :rolleyes: A drawknife should keep your hands out of harm's way. Just click on the home page drawknife link.

Back