Barnacle Parp philosophy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any heard of this book, "Barnacle Parp's Chain Saw Guide", by Walter Hall?i,
It was given to me several tears ago, and it was used then. While somewhat useful, scannning through it there is some quite insightful philosophy....

For example: In response to who needs a chainsaw guide-

and "if you're a logger who can tear apart a production saw in the middle of a rainy night, make the parts you need from a beer can and the gaskets from a cracker box, and be ready to cut wood before dawn, you should have something to sit on. This book will do as well as anything"

if I may continue

It just amuses me so, so here is a bit more from Barnacle Parp (Walter Hall, Chainsaw Guide)

On the inevitable working alone way out there...."If you're farther away than that, you probably know what you're doing and, in any case, you knew the chance you were taing and figured it was worth it. Parp certainly understands. Anyway, you have you're first aid kit, and your whiste or your gun, and you are as careful as you can reasonably be. After that, its up to everything else"

Everything else? God? This is heavy for a chainsaw manual, eh?

It just amuses me so, so here is a bit more from Barnacle Parp (Walter Hall, Chainsaw Guide)

On the inevitable working alone way out there...."If you're farther away than that, you probably know what you're doing and, in any case, you knew the chance you were taing and figured it was worth it. Parp certainly understands. Anyway, you have you're first aid kit, and your whiste or your gun, and you are as careful as you can reasonably be. After that, its up to everything else"

Sounds like a neat book. I'll have to track down a copy. Winter will be here one of these days and I'll add it to my "to read" pile.

typos and confusion maybe should be cross referenced with Parp's friend Muskrat.

The only thing about helicopters taht keep them from being godly is that darn 150 gallons per hour deal (and maybe a little bit expensive maintenance). But a good idea, as is a radio or phone- perhaps 2nd best to godliness.

You never know. This valley was originally settled by people from your neck of the woods and that's why I thought taing might could be a word. We do some sattin around and one guy roads his yarder down the road, and we all spend time swarping out our rigs. Or maybe some of us swarp it out once a year....;)

Ch. 12, "Soft Words for Tenderfeet and Sensitive Souls"

"It is manifest that neither testicles nor large wrists contribute anything whatsoever to a person's love and understanding of the natural world. And testicles do not in any way affect one's ability to do good work with a chain saw or any other kind of tool, as we all know."

and..... "Parp suggests that you devote some time to regular meditation and good clean yoga after any chain saw session. It's the best cure, though a fine walk in the woods is just about as good"

Chainsaw manual or Chain saw philosophy? Sounds like a good read.

After a very close call at work when a slide came down the hill an L&I inspector said "Sometimes god protects the logger"
Could have easily been fatalities but only one minor injury. That little sentence stuck in my mind.

Or... goin' to the house. If its quitten time, or your just sick of the BS, anything can make "goin to the house" called for.

Maybe Bushler (cause ain't Noyo at Fort Bragg?) knows about this...I lived in a few miles from Mendocino for 2 years and a friend there's grandad had taught him Boontley (sp?). Now ther's some hard core localized dialect. Very interesting

From what I gather, there was a spurt of settlers who bolted all the way west, and then waited, isolated, for a few decades till the rest started showing up. And the language evolved.

Latest posts

Back