Baro Damper issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collins B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 1557m hotblast. In my basement below grade. Hooked up to a through the wall and 20 feet of triple wall. The chimney is well above anything with in 20 feet. I always have to open a window in the basement when starting this furnace up to stop the down drafts on it. Would a baro damper stop this from happening?

No it will not. I have the identical set up as you, save I have a walk out basement. You have too air tight of a basement. Which is you refer to your installation manual it will tell you that having to add an vent to outside for adequate intake air is a possibility. Also I've found the tripple wall takes a good bit of time to warm up and draft properly. Once hot it's great,.takes a while to get there.

Negative pressure issues are rather common for basement installs. Frustrating! Some potential causes are forced air furnaces kicking in, clothes dryers operating, bath or oven venting fans, radon systems, hrv sytems, whole house chimney effect from poor sealing in the upper level. Anything that can compete with your wood stove for available combustion air.
As mentioned open a window until you can pinpoint your problem. A decent co detector should be used to be sure your not getting any reversion of exhaust towards the tail end of a burn/coaling stage.
Some things to consider. Good luck.

Back