Barometric Damper On Outside Stove.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robb55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a rather primitive outdoor forced air stove that is basically a barrel stove in a metal box. It has a manual damper on the door to control the rate of burn and can be a real nuisance to regulate. I want to put a barometric damper on the chimney this year to see if it will burn more steadily without overheating the house. Will a barometric damper work OK outside?

Barometric dampers are used to limit chimney draft when there's too much. I don't know anything about your furnace but highly doubt an outdoor burner has too much chimney draft.

Barometric dampers are used to limit chimney draft when there's too much. I don't know anything about your furnace but highly doubt an outdoor burner has too much chimney draft.
The draft control is just a plate on the door that is manually opened and closed. I did put a choke cable on it so I can control it from in the house. The stove does get going to fast sometimes and puts out too much heat especially when it's in the 30's and 40's outside. It's very hard to regulate at those temperatures and works a lot better when temperature is around 0. The vent on the door is the only draft regulator and some woods burn a lot hotter than others. Once the stack pipe heats up, it can pull a considerable draft even when the draft control is shut. So, I was thinking a chimney damper might make the stove burn more slowly evenly.

Maybe this is in the ball park of what you are looking for. It’s a automatic door damper. Open the link and click on automatic bimetallic coil (complete)

http://www.nationalstoveworks.com/m.partslist.html

Thank you for the information. I looked and the problem is that it's for a specific model of indoor stove. I'm not sure mine can be rigged to work like those. I've seen electric dampers on some outdoor stoves. But, they are expensive outfits. The bottom line is that my stove is a piece of s***. But, it's all I can afford and I'm trying to make it work as well as possible. It is literally a barrel stove. When the inside wears out, you take it apart and replace the barrel and you're back in business.

Back