Basal or Canopy Anchor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimJim1983

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Fellas

I have got some different opinions and I am sure this thread is on the site somewhere already. If it is, please point me in that direction.

In short, do you typically use a basal or canopy anchor? Of course I realize it is situation dependent, but as a general rule, which one? I am moving from MRS to SRS slowly but surely.

It seems a lot of guys like to use basal for access, then switch to canopy once they get to the TIP.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I use MRS most often. When I do SRS, I prefer canopy anchor...but sometimes I use SRS when it is difficult to isolate the 2 legs of MRS through the canopy...so I will use SRS and a basal anchor. Why canopy anchor over basal? I just feel like it is not in the way as much as the taught leg of the basal anchor. Also, a couple years ago, I read about a groundie cutting the anchor rope of a basal anchor setup (fortunately, the climber was in a position where they didn't free fall)...so canopy anchor seems safer. I do know one argument for a basal anchor is that a climber could be lowered in an emergency. How often do you leave enough extra rope for that? I had seen the question asked on another forum and nobody had been or knew of anybody who had been rescued that way, so maybe that isn't such a big deal. I don't think either is right/wrong. I don't think either should be your only answer.

Agreed, too many variables... species, situation, job... is a quick up and down, or are you going to spend all day up there? Pine? Oak? Trim? Removal? That's the reason to have all the tools in the tool bag. If it's 20 feet up to an easy position, screw it, just hip thrust ddrt... 80' up in a tight canopy, base tie and srt...

Basal for access because it's rarely an isolated limb which if you're 60+ foot away for an inspection that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Then canopy for sure once you're up there. Even if there were no people on the ground, and that's a big 'if' with workers, homeowners, neighbors, it's just better to get it out of your own way at the least.

You'd think it wouldn't get in your way but even if you do a little handsaw work on the way up it seems to always be closer than you expect. This is when it's on your mind and you're fresh. Hours in at the end of the day.....heck no.

Latest posts

Back