basic chipper primer please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Michael

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need a basic overview of used small to medium sized chippers. I've been climbing for 21 years and have occasionally used chippers but I've never really paid attention to the different kinds. Now I'm considering adding one to my small mainly residential operation but I need to know what to look for. I've been reading posts here and have learned a little about horsepower, feed and safety systems, basic rated size, and hopper size but it's tough to sort out all the different models as I look at manufacturer websites, craigslist, and ebay.

Can someone give me a simple breakdown of the desirable manufacturers, models and features of the 6 to 12 inch size units under $10K used to look for as I shop? I'm a very capable do-it-yourself fixer upper but not being familiar with basic chipper anatomy I don't really know what to avoid so feel free to educate me in that area as well.

Thanks in advance
Matt

What do you plan to tow it with?? may determine how big you go. A light truck will handle 6 inch bigger you step up to a medium truck set up with all associated costs
I reckon my bandit 6 inch is a great entry unit capable repairable and will chew most of a one man band tree work jobs while lite enough to tow with a car.

Big differences between 6" and 12" chippers. Weight is one of the issues as mentioned but something for under 10K? Not much good equipment out there for under 10K unless you can fix it up. I've alweays had the repairs done factory considering the dangerousness of the equipment. Hydraulic hose issues, regular maintenance and simple replacement parts I do myself but anything in the drive of the drum is all factory. If you do buy used, best advise I can give is take to the manufacturer for a look over before you run it and maybe kill yourself.

I have a 12" Vermeer, BC1000xl and love it. It's compact, weighs around 4K and takes care of all my needs. I bought it used, 12K, have put some repairs into it but not over $4,000 over the past 4-5 years and it has paid for itself over and over. I would recommend a unit with a diesel engine, nothing less than 9" capabilities and something with auto feed as opposed to the manual feed, big time saver. I like Vermeer but it's because I have only owned one large chipper. I had a smaller 6" chipper early on and hated it. Forget the make. Try to get some experience with rental units out there to see what you like and even ask owners what they like about their units.

:cheers:

:confused:How in the hell does one climb all those years and don't know nothing about the dam chipper?

Cause I don't use a damn chipper that's why. I break down and haul. If you saw how much I can get in a standard size pickup and how quickly I unload you'd understand. But now biz is increased to a level where having a chipper might make sense. Plus I have the option on a very nice small dump truck which would be perfect for towing a chipper.

I've done and still do more clean up and log loading at the end of a day of climbing than all half dozen of my part time on call ground crew combined. We don't lean on rakes smoking cigarettes hoping to go home early. We make customers happy and make money.

I don't think any offense was intended here bro. Its just that it's not very efficient for most of us to move brush that way. For example, I did a job last week where I got all the brush under 8" dia from a 70' pine into my one ton dump truck with 8' bed. If i'd had to try to get all that with a pickup or trailer it would have taken me 3-5 times as much time and trips at least. I'm amazed that you've been able to go this long without a chipper. Maybe it's one of those things you just don't know what you're missing. Good luck in the search. I would recommend a Morbark 13 or tornado or similar size machine. The little extra capacity over a 12" is nice when you're doing pines or cottonwood where you're not saving firewood and they're really not much more expensive used than a smaller machine.

Cause I don't use a damn chipper that's why. I break down and haul. If you saw how much I can get in a standard size pickup and how quickly I unload you'd understand. But now biz is increased to a level where having a chipper might make sense. Plus I have the option on a very nice small dump truck which would be perfect for towing a chipper.

I've done and still do more clean up and log loading at the end of a day of climbing than all half dozen of my part time on call ground crew combined. We don't lean on rakes smoking cigarettes hoping to go home early. We make customers happy and make money.

Flat stacking for 21 yrs with a 6 man ground crew. Man, either you and your crew are making $1/hr or you have hit the mother load of clients who will over pay for work. There is no way you can be more efficient or effective that someone with a chipper.

Flat stacking for 21 yrs with a 6 man ground crew. Man, either you and your crew are making $1/hr or you have hit the mother load of clients who will over pay for work. There is no way you can be more efficient or effective that someone with a chipper.

To clarify, I have half a dozen part timers on call. I only use 1 at a time. This is a SMALL residential tree biz. I'm quite certain a smart crew with a good chipper can move more brush BUT, most of the larger services I see are very inefficient. We get more done with WAY less overhead. I only work by word of mouth so I HAVE to make customers happy. That means charging fairly and occasionally turning work over to the big boys if it means my clients will save.

Climbing or running a crew for a large service is tempting but I'm not real sure I can justify the 50% pay cut. What I do may not make sense on the Wet Coast but it works pretty good where I am.

I don't think any offense was intended here bro. Its just that it's not very efficient for most of us to move brush that way. For example, I did a job last week where I got all the brush under 8" dia from a 70' pine into my one ton dump truck with 8' bed. If i'd had to try to get all that with a pickup or trailer it would have taken me 3-5 times as much time and trips at least. I'm amazed that you've been able to go this long without a chipper. Maybe it's one of those things you just don't know what you're missing. Good luck in the search. I would recommend a Morbark 13 or tornado or similar size machine. The little extra capacity over a 12" is nice when you're doing pines or cottonwood where you're not saving firewood and they're really not much more expensive used than a smaller machine.

Thanks, I appreciate the friendly attitude!

As I said, I occasionally use a chipper and it can be pretty dang helpful no doubt. I'm starting to think the overhead might be worth it since biz seems to be picking up.

Since the monster tree trashing storm 2 nights ago I'm more convinced than ever!

Rock on with hauling brush, it might not be for everyone, but that doesnt mean you cant make money at it.

As for smaller chippers, I have run the 6in Vermeers and I would not wish that on my worst enemies. I have also run a 9in Gravely. I was very impressed with that machine. It is a very simple design, easy to work on and find parts for. Gravely is not making chippers anymore, but dont let that force you to look at other machines. If you can find a 9in Gravely in good condition, you will not be disappointed with it. I currently own a 12in Vermeer (1250) and I love it. Again, a simple design and fairly easy to work on. Around here, it would not be too difficult to find a good used 9-12in machine in your price range.

Lots of folks cut their theeth on the Asplundh drum chippers. I still see them in service with Asplundh in fact. They aren't as fast as a self feed but they will save you space when compared to stacking and are cheaper and more available than the more efficient units. Mechanically you need minimal automotive aptitude to keep them running and the parts are at any NAPA (engine wise......I learned this from experience). Remember, they call them "Chuck N Duck" for a good reason so be careful. They are not easy on the ears either.

I grew up on the old Asplundh 16" drums. Some people are scared to death of them. As mentioned above, once you lern how to "Chuck-n-Duck", they aren't so bad. I rented a 10", I forget if it was a Morbark or Bandit, but it was an awsome little machine. It had an air cooled 25 horse diesel. I was chipping Wild Cherries for my Dad. These were tall, straight, trees growing in a fenceline. Most just barley fit in the chute. Once the feed rollers got them they were gone. I was feeding the whole trees, 30 foot or more. The govenor would kick in and the self feed would let it catch up. By the time you could drag another one to the machine the first one was gone. I've used the Vermeer BC 1000 and liked it too. Watch sales and auctions from schools, golf courses, and municpalities. My cousin just bought a 10" Morbark from a golf course for $1500. It's way small for most of his work, but for the money he couldn't let it go. Good luck, Joe.

Thanks, I appreciate the friendly attitude!

As I said, I occasionally use a chipper and it can be pretty dang helpful no doubt. I'm starting to think the overhead might be worth it since biz seems to be picking up.

Since the monster tree trashing storm 2 nights ago I'm more convinced than ever!

Hey man, I don't want you thinking I was being unfriendly. I can understand maybe being in Iowa you might have and means to haul mega abouts of tree banches and tons of places to dump it. I dunno though if I would ever think about loading any amount of brush for 20 years. No I do know.
Sees like some other fellows were a might perplexed by the situation, no offense though, and if you are climbing trees and loading brush and that is what you have been doing then all I can say is God bless you and:cheers: no have more:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
Hey man, I don't want you thinking I was being unfriendly. I can understand maybe being in Iowa you might have and means to haul mega abouts of tree banches and tons of places to dump it. I dunno though if I would ever think about loading any amount of brush for 20 years. No I do know.
Sees like some other fellows were a might perplexed by the situation, no offense though, and if you are climbing trees and loading brush and that is what you have been doing then all I can say is God bless you and:cheers: no have more:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Why thank you treemandan. That's mighty friendly.

no chipper or hauling this week. City is picking up. All I do is climb climb climb and figure out how to get tree off roof. It's actually pretty fun but boy I'm tired. No complaints about the money though:clap:

Back