Battery Powered Bar Mounted Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Tecomec and Oregon used to sell 12V, bar mounted, chain grinders. Northern Tool (and other?) companies also offered some. I have not seen these for a while.

Some milling guys said that they liked these, because of the time it takes to remove / mount a chain on a guide bar, that is mounted in an Alaskan mill (or similar).

Saw this yesterday (have not tried it). Uses a proprietary battery, and mounts to the guide bar with 3, rare earth magnets.

Philbert

IMG_7312.jpeg

Archer sells it on their website $20 or $30 cheaper than they sell it on Amazon. And cool to see you can actually use it while the bar is still clamped in the mill. Interesting, I'm sure a lot more accurate than my HF bench mount piece of junk and can take it with me milling. At the price, might be the best lower cost option until you get a $300-400 Tecomec 520 equivalent or the 520 itself. https://archerplus.com/products/tec...ounted-sharpener?_pos=12&_sid=b451d0414&_ss=r

just look and the battery voltage and build your own power supply. I know Lith is the rage but for something used rather stationary and out board pack of some type would work. if it 12v a lawn tractor battery, two in series if 24v or a dropping resistor if in between of around 25 watt capacity, depends on the amp draw. ohms of resisitor depends on voltage needed but that cand be +/- 10% or slighty more not critical.

just look and the battery voltage and build your own power supply.
Proprietary batteries are a concern with any battery powered tools. If they become unavailable. . .

‘Batteries Plus’ tells me they will not rebuild Li-ion battery packs. But, in this case, a friend that is good with electronics might be able to help with a 12V adapter.

Not as convenient as a battery, but I mentioned that earlier versions ran off of a vehicle battery, using alligator clips.
Tecomec, Oregon, and even Northern Tool had versions.

Below is the only current one I have seen, although, others may exist on the eBays of the world.* ‘Out of Stock’ on several sites, so discontinued?

Generally, I prefer grinders that pivot down from the side, like a mitre saw, than those that roll down / scoop from the top, like do.

Philbert
IMG_7322.jpeg

course being 12vdc one could reverse the rotation of the wheel by reversing the power leads in all likely hood. for either side. wheels are 4" od, but available 1/8,3/16,1/4 inch

Proprietary batteries are a concern with any battery powered tools. If they become unavailable. . .

‘Batteries Plus’ tells me they will not rebuild Li-ion battery packs. But, in this case, a friend that is good with electronics might be able to help with a 12V adapter.

I hope there will be no problem with that. But a problem may exist. Some companies use a proprietary protocol to communicate between the battery pack and the device, and will not allow startup if their battery pack is not installed. Then you either have to hack the protocol and connect, for example, an Arduino to the device to fool it, or rework the inside of the device to feed power directly to the motor.

Tecomec and Oregon used to sell 12V, bar mounted, chain grinders. Northern Tool (and other?) companies also offered some. I have not seen these for a while.

Some milling guys said that they liked these, because of the time it takes to remove / mount a chain on a guide bar, that is mounted in an Alaskan mill (or similar).

Saw this yesterday (have not tried it). Uses a proprietary battery, and mounts to the guide bar with 3, rare earth magnets.

Philbert

View attachment 1179373

I'm very tempted to pick one of these up to try, but I'm holding off at the moment.

I've used one of these...
2108668590.jpg
It worked as expected, had a fair bit of play in the pivot point which became extremely apparent when the return spring broke & there was no longer constant tension on it.
Got a fairly hard time & lasted about as long as I would've expected it to (given what it cost)

Latest posts

Back