Battery saws and big wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric saws are handy even though the run times are not idea. I use battery powered equipment in noise sensitive environments and have nothing but praise. Though i have only used dewalt or milwaukee brand equipment.

Depends on what you mean by small wood, I guess. My 18" Kobalt 80v will handle anything a gas powered 18" saw will handle. Yes, I've had the bar buried in oak and maple, pulls it without issue.
I got a 42 cc craftsman ( redmax clone made in china ) i compared it to a kobalt and found the electric saw had more torque and was the same speed.

Depends on what you mean by small wood, I guess. My 18" Kobalt 80v will handle anything a gas powered 18" saw will handle. Yes, I've had the bar buried in oak and maple, pulls it without issue.
will it cut? sure but the time it takes would steer me clear for any real work. an 18" log gets a ported 60-99+cc saw and will be litterally 3x as fast as what that vid showed.

will it cut? sure but the time it takes would steer me clear for any real work. an 18" log gets a ported 60-99+cc saw and will be litterally 3x as fast as what that vid showed.

I don't know what vid you're referring to, but yes a gas saw will be faster. That's moving the goalposts, though. My point was that electrics aren't just for small wood, and that point stands.

I even used a battery electric saw as an example. I can also dig up photos of 440v 3 phase electric chainsaws being used to slab 3ft logs.

I don't know what vid you're referring to, but yes a gas saw will be faster. That's moving the goalposts, though. My point was that electrics aren't just for small wood, and that point stands.

I even used a battery electric saw as an example. I can also dig up photos of 440v 3 phase electric chainsaws being used to slab 3ft logs.
So, a 12 mile extension cord to the job site? 🤣
Vid above...261 vs ms300, 18" wood.
Like I said...will it cut? Sure, but if your time is costing you $, what's the point?
Just my opinion...

I’ve posted these before. Corded electric saw, with PowerSharp chain, clearing storm damage at a friend’s suburban house.

View attachment 1102984

And cutting up large rounds , taken down nearby, for fire wood.

View attachment 1102983

And noodling!
View attachment 1102985

Philbert
The corded ones seem to do well…have tried a couple just to try them. Have the parts for a Husky, 316?, and a Shindaiwa in boxes :p
did anyone ever make a 220v (US) and give it a bigger motor?

I'd be onboard if there was a series of standard batteries. That way you have options if your saws maker decides to quit.
^^^THIS^^^^
Plus you are ‘married’ to a specific manufacturer line, with regards to other tools; pole saws, blowers, trimmers, etc.

Personally it seems like a great time to get some legendary gas saws before we are all limited to products that are only somewhat good in comparison. Much like cars electric cars seem to work good in town but it is a different story if you want to drive across the country in the middle of a Canadian winter. Battery saws seem to work great till you have a bunch of work to do with them. I ordered a small husqvarna gas saw the other day to replace the makita 400 series dual 18 volt battery saw I bought a year ago. Great saw if you only want to trim a bit for a short while. I like it but it is a over priced toy. Put it up for sale on a local buy sell site and i have had no response to make me an offer ad. Enough said. Looking forward to my new husqvarna coming in.

I did more arithmetic, see any errors?

I took a Makita 18volt 6 amp hour battery (which is lighter than the 5.0 ah one from a few years ago) and came out with 185 watt hours per kg.

Specific consumption at max. load per ISO 7293 480 g/kWh for the Dolmar ps420

1 kwh would be 20 minutes at 4 hp. using 1.5kw=2hp

1/0.185=5.4 kilos of battery needed to compare to 480 grams of gasoline. This is an open port that needs a catalyst in today's availability.

Ever heard the saying a pint is a pound the world around? 454 grams is a pound and gasoline is a bit lighter than water. 5.4kg*2.2=11.8 pounds.

Without computing seems like 80 pounds of modern batteries that only have air blow through cooling features equate to one gallon or 7 pounds of mix.

Is 4hp enough for big wood? How long will one be cutting?

Back