Looking for large battery chainsaw to replace one of mine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be worth looking into the EGO 56Volt system.
They offer battery packs of up to 12Ah.

I got me a defective EGO battery and it is too nice to tear down for cell salvage.

View attachment 1014144 View attachment 1014145

Yes, the EGO 56V is huge, but it also packs a bunch of energy.
The EGO system products don't seem to be any more expensive than the competition.
Has anyone else had experience, good or a bad with EGO products? Particular the hedge trimmer .

Has anyone else had experience, good or a bad with EGO products? Particular the hedge trimmer .
Neighbors are happy with their EGO lawnmower and EGO snowblower. I think that they make a good product, by their reputation.

If you are on the fence (or hedge) consider buying one from a retailer with a generous return / satisfaction policy.

Philbert

No Ego experience, however i do have an 80V Greenworks chainsaw and mower. The mower has the same power as my 2 stroke Lawnboy and the saw has 50cc torque, but less chain speed. Both are quite impressive. My thinking was that the 80V provides more power than 56V does. The mower and saw reviews indicates this. The Ego blower beat the Greenworks though.

I have the 80v Kobalt mower, it was the first thing I bought in the 80v lineup. Very pleased with it, I don't miss a gas mower at all.

I don’t Miss having ANY Mower at all 😁

It’s been over 6 years since I have mowed a Lawn, and I don’t miss it a single bit

The soil doesn’t seem to support lawns very well, here on the Mountain, and the trees do a pretty good job of reducing sunshine on the ground. Lawns just don’t do well in my area, and I am Good with that 👍👍

Doug

I cut my mother's firewood and as she bought a Snapper (brand owned by Briggs and Stratton if I'm not mistaken) 82V (72 nominal) battery powered lawn mower I suggested also buying their chainsaw, running on the same (big) battery packs. In other words, we did exactly what their marketeers intended, I suppose :) .
Mower is pretty good, actually, quite pleasantly surprised.

The chainsaw isn't too bad either in my opinion.

https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...82volt-max_-lithiumion-cordless-chainsaw.html
The saw has a narrow 18" bar, a bit too long and definitely too flimsy imo.
I can't compare to other battery powered saws, as I never owned or even used any.
Compared to gas saws, you obviously have to deal with a lower chain speed (and worse power to weight ratio). It's quite useful for limbing, however loose sticks/light weight wood get pulled towards you rather than cut.
Apart from the obvious advantages (exhaust related), it's also quite convenient that bar oil consumption is pretty low.

If you get used to the lower chain speed the thing is quite useful. I put down small(ish) cherry trees with it yesterday, 6-8 inch diameter, no issue. As a test, I also bucked quite some 16" dry (dead) spruce with it, no stalling or other issues, if you have the patience of course. Even did some noodling, the thing simply does it although I suppose if you keep on doing that, I well get worn out quickly? Also, batteries die quickly (and get quite warm) with such load on the machine.

If one knows a thing or two about batteries and electricity in general, Li-ion batteries can be rebuilt, and individual 18650 cells don't cost too much (mind the exact specs, though, the 18650 designation is solely based on the physical dimensions of the cells). I would definitely follow the advice given here where it comes to the connections: use a spot welder (and decent quality nickel strips, if needed).

I got a weed eater from them first. Battery died early due to a chip failure. Sadly I realized I could have replaced the chip for 50¢, but the cells died before I got around to taking it apart. they sent a new battery in a few days, no problem.

weed eater is really nice. I’ll never own a gas one again.

ive only used the hedge trimmer a few time, but it cut like a champ. Also have a blower. You’ve gotta learn to use the blower effectively, or the battery dies before you get much work done.

i buy factory refurbished when I get these, and it gets you a battery, charger, and tool for less than the cost of a replacement battery.

looking to buy their newer 16” chainsaw and a lawn mower soon.

I still have an ms440 I rebuilt for cutting big stuff. I don’t see the rally big saws going electric any time soon, but the tech gets better by the year.

for electric saws, I also have the baby 10” makita that runs off a single 18v battery. Great for pruning/trimming. I couldn’t get one of my little gas saws to start a month or so back when helping some friends with a tree in their yard, and I brought the baby makita instead. Took all of the 3-4” limbs off and cut them up faster than people could carry them away. Also cut the larger trunk sections up, since my buddy’s saw lost a muffler bolt part way through. The secret to the smaller electrics is to not bog it down, and let the saw do the work. It takes a little longer the bigger the wood gets, but it gets the job done.

I cut my mother's firewood and as she bought a Snapper (brand owned by Briggs and Stratton if I'm not mistaken) 82V (72 nominal) battery powered lawn mower I suggested also buying their chainsaw, running on the same (big) battery packs. In other words, we did exactly what their marketeers intended, I suppose :) .
Mower is pretty good, actually, quite pleasantly surprised.

The chainsaw isn't too bad either in my opinion.

https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...82volt-max_-lithiumion-cordless-chainsaw.html
The saw has a narrow 18" bar, a bit too long and definitely too flimsy imo.
I can't compare to other battery powered saws, as I never owned or even used any.
Compared to gas saws, you obviously have to deal with a lower chain speed (and worse power to weight ratio). It's quite useful for limbing, however loose sticks/light weight wood get pulled towards you rather than cut.
Apart from the obvious advantages (exhaust related), it's also quite convenient that bar oil consumption is pretty low.

If you get used to the lower chain speed the thing is quite useful. I put down small(ish) cherry trees with it yesterday, 6-8 inch diameter, no issue. As a test, I also bucked quite some 16" dry (dead) spruce with it, no stalling or other issues, if you have the patience of course. Even did some noodling, the thing simply does it although I suppose if you keep on doing that, I well get worn out quickly? Also, batteries die quickly (and get quite warm) with such load on the machine.

If one knows a thing or two about batteries and electricity in general, Li-ion batteries can be rebuilt, and individual 18650 cells don't cost too much (mind the exact specs, though, the 18650 designation is solely based on the physical dimensions of the cells). I would definitely follow the advice given here where it comes to the connections: use a spot welder (and decent quality nickel strips, if needed).

What speed does that snapper run at? The newer 16" Ego spins at 20 m/s, as does their 18" saw that appears to be slightly more powerful. Makita now has electric saws spinning at 24+ m/s, and most of their others still available are 20 m/s.

The batteries look a whole lot like greenworks/kobalt. Might interchange between them. this site seems to think they can easily be modified to fit:
https://www.smartfamilymoney.com/greenworks-kobalt-batteries-compatibility/

They don't specify chain speed, but according to a manual I found online (it was sold without manual for some reason) the no load RPM is 5500RPM±10%.
Weight with the 2Ah battery is 6.89KG, and the battery types are EBSB2AH82 (2Ah) / EBSB4AH82 (4Ah) - I guess those are Snapper specific designations, though.

Funny thing, I came across yet another brand (that I don't know) that also has a battery chainsaw, using the same or very similar batteries, at least the shape and dimensions are, and the location and type of charge indicator:

1680629419571.png

1680629687095.png

Found it on a Belgian second hand site, so it also might be a regional thing. Also, saw some pics of batteries by them that seemed bigger (higher) than the Snapper ones, the battery well on this Cramer chainsaw also seems bigger.

My Kobalt saw increases in power and RPM when I put it in the wood and apply a load. No-load RPM wouldn't give an accurate reading of maximum theoretical cutting RPM.

My Kobalt saw increases in power and RPM when I put it in the wood and apply a load. No-load RPM wouldn't give an accurate reading of maximum theoretical cutting RPM.
Then I guess it has circuitry on board to take care of that. Not much of a point to running it at maximum power with no load anyway... The Snapper saw doesn't seem to do that, although the RPM's usually also don't seem to drop too much.

The Snapper mower does increase RPM's quickly and by quite a lot (by ear, at least) when it encounters a rougher or thicker patch of grass. Works well. It's also self-propelled, btw, with a more than abundant speed setting range (it can go too fast, unless you want to sort of run behind your mower :D).

I got a weed eater from them first. Battery died early due to a chip failure. Sadly I realized I could have replaced the chip for 50¢, but the cells died before I got around to taking it apart. they sent a new battery in a few days, no problem.

ive only used the hedge trimmer a few time, but it cut like a champ. Also have a blower. You’ve gotta learn to use the blower effectively, or the battery dies before you get much work done.

i buy factory refurbished when I get these, and it gets you a battery, charger, and tool for less than the cost of a replacement battery.

I still have an ms440 I rebuilt for cutting big stuff. I don’t see the rally big saws going electric any time soon, but the tech gets better by the year.

for electric saws, I also have the baby 10” makita that runs off a single 18v battery. Great for pruning/trimming. I couldn’t get one of my little gas saws to start a month or so back when helping some friends with a tree in their yard, and I brought the baby makita instead. Took all of the 3-4” limbs off and cut them up faster than people could carry them away. Also cut the larger trunk sections up, since my buddy’s saw lost a muffler bolt part way through. The secret to the smaller electrics is to not bog it down, and let the saw do the work. It takes a little longer the bigger the wood gets, but it gets the job done.
Weeds are pulled, sprayed, or dug out. Eating weeds is for goats. You have a string trimmer....

In the Ni-Cad days, battery was lowest power, 120vac models were double battery output, and gas was x2 or x4 (Commercial)l then they got lithium w/ 40, 60, 80v; PROJECT FARM yOUTUBE HAS DECENT COMPARISONS

They don't specify chain speed, but according to a manual I found online (it was sold without manual for some reason) the no load RPM is 5500RPM±10%.
Weight with the 2Ah battery is 6.89KG, and the battery types are EBSB2AH82 (2Ah) / EBSB4AH82 (4Ah) - I guess those are Snapper specific designations, though.

Funny thing, I came across yet another brand (that I don't know) that also has a battery chainsaw, using the same or very similar batteries, at least the shape and dimensions are, and the location and type of charge indicator:

View attachment 1072334

View attachment 1072336

Found it on a Belgian second hand site, so it also might be a regional thing. Also, saw some pics of batteries by them that seemed bigger (higher) than the Snapper ones, the battery well on this Cramer chainsaw also seems bigger.

Cramer is the European brand by the same people who sell greenworks in the USA, if I’m not mistaken.

Standard Lithium ION cells: "18650" - usually.
When you solder batteries have a wet cloth ready to cool down immediately after soldering, use solder acid fluid or flux to make it flow quickly. Pre-solder the surfaces before you join anything, makes the joining really quick.
A much better idea is to get a welder that is designed to tack weld the nickel strips used to connect the batteries. Much less heat transferred to the cell. Personally, I would never solder to a lithium cell.

Latest posts

Back