BB kit recommended for older 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skooks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The new 066 BB kit seems like just the ticket to get a little extra grunt out of my milling saw. My 066 is an older model with a metal flywheel though. Is there a risk of over-stressing and breaking the crank if I put on the bigger jug?

-Don

The new 066 BB kit seems like just the ticket to get a little extra grunt out of my milling saw. My 066 is an older model with a metal flywheel though. Is there a risk of over-stressing and breaking the crank if I put on the bigger jug?

-Don

Is this older saw already modded? The old school 066s will blow the doors off the new ones. The pre-compression release cylinders are the best I have ever run.
I just did the same mod on an older 066 (metal flywheel - no release) and it blows the doors off my 660s with the same mod. I believe the combustion chambers where smaller in the old cylinders.
If you don'y already - a slight mod on what you have a long with a new set of rings would do wonders.
Besides the BB kits are backed up until roughly March.

Thanks. By 'mod' to you mean port grinding/modification and possibly changing the squish? I have not done any of this but I have opened up the muffler. This helped noticeably.

-Don

Thanks. By 'mod' to you mean port grinding/modification and possibly changing the squish? I have not done any of this but I have opened up the muffler. This helped noticeably.

-Don

Mods vary like anything else.
But, yes my mods are somewhat like you stated. I widen and raise my exhaust, widen and lower my intake, gut lower tranfers, finger port, remove base gasket, shoot for .018-.021 squish, add another port on the muffler along with ported face plate (totallying 3 ports) add an aftermarket filter system and advance the ignition.
All is just my preference.

But all of that is not totally nessecary. There are many saw builders, some of whom are sponsors here. They know much more than I do.
I just do my own stuff.

Back