Bc1000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm demo' ing a BC1000XL Anyone here have one? Whats your experience with it? Any problems? I ran 26 10-12" Whole pines trees thru it today. :Eye: :Eye:

Bc1000xl

Why a drum ? get your self down to J P Carlton in Spartanburg and get a demo of the 1790 Disc chipper, you will be very impressed in performance and build. 864 578 9335

BC1000 is a drum chipper. I rented one a couple times. No real problems to speak of. What was really nice about it was the fact that the controls for the clutch and throttle are so ???? easy. However, I don't like the body. It doesn't allow for modifications, and also it doesn't seem like it would hold up well to constant abuse.

Ditto- The BC1000 is a drum with controlled feed. I rented one for 2 days of ROW work and was extremely well impressed with the performance and the chip quality. The city has one here and they complain about poor chip quality -but can anyone say MAINTENANCE. The unit I used was marvelous.

I've used one a couple of times, the guy I subby to bought a second hand one which had some vibration on it. He thought it was the bearings or the collets that hold the shaft to the drum, on removing the drum we found that there was a large continous crack on the drum around the collet :eek: the drum was only attached to the shaft at one end (god knows how it didnt rip off completly)
It was on the opposite side from the belt/pulley so if i remember rightly you would have to remove the drum to inspect it. He got it welded up but was a waste of time because it was WAY out of balance, managed to get a second hand one which was a lot cheaper than the £3000 quoted price for a new un.
Other than that it seems to be a good machine but an absoulte nightmare to try and move about the yard if it aint attached to a truck(twin axle's all the same).
Hope this is of some help :D

The BC1000 had a factory recall for the problem with the drum. The original drums were not beefy enough. Once recalled and repaired, they don't fall apart any more.
We ran a bc100 for a couple years and it was a good chipper. Now we're running a BC1400 and I hope I don't ever have to back to the BC1000.
Funny thing, the BC1400 had a recent recall. Guess what for. Yep, the drum wasn't beefy enough. :rolleyes:

Mike Maas said:
The BC1000 had a factory recall for the problem with the drum. The original drums were not beefy enough. Once recalled and repaired, they don't fall apart any more.
We ran a bc100 for a couple years and it was a good chipper. Now we're running a BC1400 and I hope I don't ever have to back to the BC1000.
Funny thing, the BC1400 had a recent recall. Guess what for. Yep, the drum wasn't beefy enough. :rolleyes:
where do you find out about these recalls. i got mine in dec.03.

Liston said:
Why a drum ? get your self down to J P Carlton in Spartanburg and get a demo of the 1790 Disc chipper, you will be very impressed in performance and build. 864 578 9335

I Have a carlton Stump grinder and I'll try out the Carlton as well I wunder how much there 12" Machine is?

great chipper. like it most for the lightness and power for its size.
only problems so far are two broken welds, one on chute crank, and one on the feed wheel guard cover, and auto feed box blew 2 times, fiber glass engine cover cracked where cluck engagement is and a spring for the cluck handle broke. service has been good from Vermeer but awful on the welding. the welds both broke the next day.still not fixed and well past warranty now. the service tech had the ground from the MIG welder hooked to the pintil hook on the front of the chipper.
one plus is that i get shipments in the next day.

theres more of a recall on beefing up the welds/build on the feedwheel attachment points if one is built before/around 2004 look for wear or recent welds on the outside of the machine,the ones here get this done to all of them,the 2005 model is beefed up.

a_lopa said:
theres more of a recall on beefing up the welds/build on the feedwheel attachment points if one is built before/around 2004 look for wear or recent welds on the outside of the machine,the ones here get this done to all of them,the 2005 model is beefed up.
dont you think everyone with a bc1000 would have been notified.
at tcia last year, it was pretty noticeable all the improvements on this chipper. i think it weighs a couple hundred more pounds too.

Back