Bear Cat Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mower Dude

Mower Dude

Hey Guys
I'm a landscaper needing info on a 20 hp Bear Cat chipper I know it's not a pro model but I just need something to chip with so I don't have to haul big loads of limbs to the land field miles away ,also saving time .I don't do alot of tree work just the one hitting us in the face while we're trying to work .It's in a price range we can afford .Let us know.

Mower Dude

Mower Dude

I was needing to know about any problems with this sort of machine . I already know about specs but I was looking for someone with experience on something this small .Is it dependable does it dull easliy on most wood , sort of a reputation on this manufacturer .Bear Cat seems to be all they offer around here. Just fishin.

Cicero

Cicero

Big C in the 303
We sell Morbark chippers and the Bear Cat guys are always trying to get us to sell theirs. It is an OK unit but my opinion is if you are buying new you are far better off to spend that money on a used Vermeer, Morbark or Bandit. Parts and durability will be far better on even a used mach. Around here that machine would sell for about 7K-8K. No hydraulics. 7-8K should buy you a darn nice used piece. I am selling 6" Morbarks with approx. 100-200 hours for around that price. So hopefully someone near you would have something. Contact Vermeer or Bandit or Morbark see what else is out there.

Reed

Addicted to ArboristSite
Been renting a Bear Cat that has a 25hp Kubota diesel, just for a job 80 miles from here where I'm workin' alone - the dealer's only a mile from this work.

Gotta say after years of experience on everything from 302 V8 gas to 200hp John Deeres, 10 inch to 20inch, drum, disk, barrel, this little baby's a great little toy. I'm only chippin' up to five inch oak but it's green and white group species, a few smaller limbs of green live oak.

I've been playing with the idea of a chip box mounted on my 3/4 ton, something about eight feet long by four feet high - a minature version of everything else out there 'cause I'm getting old and may farm-out the bigger stuff and slow down a bit. This chipper would fit this requirement I think. It's not exactly a cheap deal ($20,000) but the small size may have some positives I wouldn't find with the 'ol giant chippers. I think for landscape work and getting rid of 80% of the brush on removals, it might be money well spent, I was impressed with the power for such a small rig. Another thing, if the jackstand fails (common out there in rough terrain) you don't need a Bobcat or a front end loader to mount her back on the truck again.

What kind of wood you find yourself hauling to the dump most often? How many limbs you deal with in relation to the other work you do? It'll be a few years before the BearCat comes ontyo the used market but I'm convinced they can handle a few years of brute work.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've never seen a Bearcat, but went to the Website. Can tell nothing from pics.

You can get a used Bandit 65 for well under $8000 that is one heck of a fine machine. New, I'm not sure, maybe $14k. I think it is the best of the six inch chippers.

Latest posts