bearing grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I'm finally getting somewhere after what seems forever on getting the 028 back together, in the book stihl talks of putting grease between the bearings and the seal and they give there brand of grease, What grease do you guys use when replacing the seals?

No sense in putting grease behind the seals--you're repairing a chainsaw not a wheel. It'll get washed away by mix. I think maybe Stihl is making the point that you don't assemble the saw dry. Oil everything. I typically use WD-40. Fuel mix would probably be fine also.

Anyway, I always smear a bit of grease on the lip of the seal so it'll slip over the crank easier.

Chris B.

Thanks Chris, I figured the gas/oil mix would break down the grease and it would end up getting burned anyway, I wondered if I could put just mix oil on it and get the same thing, I am putting on a new cylinder/piston and rings I was planning on putting some straight mix oil in there for the first time so it would have lube for starting up. By the way putting straight oil in meaning just rubbing down the inside of the cylinder with it to coat it, as well as the crank bearing as well.

That's what I do. I just put a light coat of mix oil on the inside of the cylinder and the on the bearings. I also put a little mix oil on the back of the seals before putting them on.

Tom

Mix oil cant hurt it any, its gonna lube up the bearings to get the thing started the first time anyhow, so I see it as a good protective measure.
I use the mix oil, or any kind of motor oil to lube up bearings, and engines that are stuck, to get em cranking again, it works pretty well.

I use a spray gel lube with teflon on bearings and pistons, the gel seems to stick and coat everything for those first pulls and initial start up. Find the spray gel easier to direct and easier cleanup than grease.

Latest posts

Back