Bearing wrong way round!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Kidneycutter
Reaction score
Just put my clutch side bearing in. And noticed that one side is not open. I put the closed/retained side into the crank side.

You put the open side out and the metal shield to the crank? Is the crank installed yet or just the bearing in the case? I'd pull the shield, clean the bearing and be done with it. Don't waste your time flipping the bearing since it shouldn't have shields to begin with.

Just put my clutch side bearing in. And noticed that one side is not open. I put the closed/retained side into the crank side.
What do you mean by "not open?" Is it a sealed bearing, or is it one of those with the snap on plastic ball cage?

Duh, Snap on ball cage. New bearing required. This time without plastic crap. This was a oem FAG stihl replacement bearing.

I've had a metal cage fail (original FAG bearing), taking the piston and cylinder with it. I'm not convinced one way or the other.
bearing-png.816965

I've had a metal cage fail (original FAG bearing), taking the piston and cylinder with it. I'm not convinced one way or the other.
bearing-png.816965
Interesting. Are they the original bearings...were you milling?
I now don't know which bearings to get. Not sure about the plastic cages.

Interesting. Are they the original bearings...were you milling?
I now don't know which bearings to get. Not sure about the plastic cages.
Yes, that was the original bearing. Milling? No - it's an 028. I got it free from a friend because of that problem. Pretty sure it was used for firewood, mostly.

All bearings can/will fail. I’ve seen failures from both metal and plastic cages. If metal is available and fits, I go that route due to my installation preferences (heat) and hopes of a longer life. I have no evidence supporting that hope, though.

I contacted stihl technical today about these bearings.....apparently they are throng bearings and should be open race.
The authorised dealer sent one with a plastic race and the other sealed grease bearing. Luckily I put it in back to front otherwise I could of had an expensive bang!
Anyway the dealer is sending all the stock back and sending me the right ones asap

Latest posts

Back