Beavers and Tree Felling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Now I like Beavers, I think they're a pretty cool animal. You guys overseas probably like our Kangaroos but in all honesty they are a pest and we shoot them. Truth is that I know very little about Beavers apart from the odd documentary and the odd book.

Questions are;

Do Beavers tend to gnaw off trees with a standard type scarf, or do they prefer the Humbolt style of felling cut, I mean "chew"?
What sized trees do they tend to target?
Do they partake in "directional felling" or do they only worry about the tree falling over, regardless of direction?
Do they use wind assistance to land trees where they want?
Do they ever use wedges?
Do some Beavers have large tree envy and gnaw off bigger trees than others just to "show off"?
What angle do they sharpen their teeth on?
Do redneck Beavers run skip teeth?
I read about the odd Beaver getting flattened by their own tree. Do these Beavers lack the required skills or is it just plain bad luck?
Do they ever call in more experienced Beavers to do the tricky jobs?

Sorry to pose such ridiculous questions, it's just that I saw a tree today that has been felled in a local churches' front yard and I swear blind a Beaver must have knocked it over. Or maybe a blind guy with a very blunt axe. We don't have Beavers so...

Last edited:
All I can tell you is they aren't very good climbers. So that limits their duties as arborist.

Steve

Thanks for that bit of information. I gathered they wouldn't be able to climb very well as they lack opposable thumbs for grasping :D
Ground felling only for Mr Beaver...

You forgot one Matt!

Do they call out "TIMBERRRRRRRR"......?

Good point Al. Maybe that is where the squashed Beavers come from. They are simply groundies that didn't know a tree was about to land on them. I wonder if they could blow a whistle? That may help limit fatalities...

It also looks as if we have Tungsten Toothed Beavers?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFK1NDAf7-E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFK1NDAf7-E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

skip tooth red neck beaver! now thats the funniest thing i heard in a long time.

I was serious Aaron. Can you please not make fun of this thread...

Although I bet you'd love to whack a couple of handles up old Mr Tungsten Beaver above and poke him into some of the wood you cut :cheers:

Last edited:
yes yes sorry matt, i wonder if they free hand sharpen their teeth or use a guide

I was serious Aaron. Can you please not make fun of this thread...

Although I bet you'd love to whack a couple of handles up old Mr Tungsten Beaver above and poke him into some of the wood you cut :cheers:

yeah i feel for that poor bloke

yes yes sorry matt, i wonder if they free hand sharpen their teeth or use a guide

I think they'd have to free hand Aaron because, as mentioned, they lack opposable thumbs which would make file insertion into the guide very difficult. The Vallorbe guides with the little wing nuts would be extremely taxing on their stumpy toes. I wonder if they use side mirrors off of old car wrecks to correct angles etc?

Like Gypo says....''save a tree, eat a beaver ''...................

You're from Canada mate. Do they taste any good? I know they make good hats. Well Davey Crockett's hat looked good anyway...

EDIT: OK, Davy Crockett's hat looks like a Raccoon...

My bad...

Last edited:
nothing wrong with an eager beaver.....

But a Beaver that is eager is far better. Anyway Aaron, please remember this is a serious thread. It is not about the smaller series of McCulloch chainsaws. Try to remain on topic please :) Unless you know a Beaver's felling techniques please stick to being attacked by rogue emus and leave the comments up to our Beaver expert friends from the Northern Hemisphere...

By the way, how are those Box Thorn puncture wounds going?

Last edited:
i hate the four-legged variety. they dam streams which causes collateral damage; the water they back up kills many trees which like the lower areas, but can't stand to be in water 24-7.

i hate the four-legged variety. they dam streams which causes collateral damage; the water they back up kills many trees which like the lower areas, but can't stand to be in water 24-7.

Finally a Beaver expert :cheers:

I have heard the little critters can cause a lot of trouble the way they dam streams up. Do they get rid of them or just relocate the problem ones?

Have you ever seen one chew a tree down? I'm keen to know how fast the little buggars can drop one using only their teeth :)

Matt, I believe there used to be a strong affinity by Beavers for the cartographic rendition of the Island of Tasmania (also known as a Map of Tassie) although i believe that currently many younger Beavers appear to have shown a strong affinity for, or mimic the actions of some of their kin in South America, specifically Brazil, even if they can't reside there.

Latest posts

Back