Beavers and Tree Felling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention there are plenty of deer where I am too, Fallow and Red.
There were quite a few deer farms in this district back in the eighties, then when the arse dropped out of the market they just dropped their fences (most backed onto National Park land) and walked away, so plenty end up in the Wild Game chillers now.

And we can knock them over any old time, no 'season' here as they are feral and therefore fair game, although I don't hunt anymore, unlike Mat I've gone soft in my dotage :D

And we can knock them over any old time, no 'season' here as they are feral and therefore fair game, although I don't hunt anymore, unlike Matt I've gone soft in my dotage :D

I haven't gone soft Rick, I think the animals are getting cuter as I get older through the old Bausch and Lomb. Just before I pull the trigger :cheers:

I get asked to do a lot of culling though mate and generally get paid for the shooting by most guys. Even if it just pays for the ammo and diesel :)

*snap*

It's a good ol Bausch and Lomb Elite sitting atop my 243. :D

It goes with the Steiner bino's although they are mainly used for checking out birds these days :monkey:

I think it was all the stock I had to put down during the drought that did me in, I just have no desire for it anymore.

Last edited:
*snap*

It's a good ol Bausch and Lomb Elite sitting atop my 243. :D

It goes with the Steiner bino's although they are mainly used for checking out birds these days :monkey:

I think it was all the stock I had to put down during the drought that did me in, I just have no desire for it anymore.

SNAP :D Mines a 4-16 x 50mm Elite 4000. Excellent optics. I've compared it to a few high end Euros and it's just as good, or better, than all of them. From memory the lenses are Jap made?

[snip]
From memory the lenses are Jap made?

IIRC the entire 'scope ?

At the time I walked in to HPGS and it was a toss up between a Leupold (when they were still made in the US) and the B&S and walked out with the B&S.

Way back then it wasn't so easy to get stuff from the US, sales tax was 22% and duty was high too.
Somehow I wrangled my Steiners duty/tax free when SWMBO was going on one of her Taiwan trips.
It's sooo much easier now.

I got a B&L Elite 3X9 40 on my Bruno 30/06 - top scope. I know it can shoot better than I can. Couple that with a tuned load using Palma match bullets and I ain't got no excuses for a bad shot.

IIRC the entire 'scope ?

At the time I walked in to HPGS and it was a toss up between a Leupold (when they were still made in the US) and the B&S and walked out with the B&S.

Way back then it wasn't so easy to get stuff from the US, sales tax was 22% and duty was high too.
Somehow I wrangled my Steiners duty/tax free when SWMBO was going on one of her Taiwan trips.
It's sooo much easier now.

Leupold is not USA made anymore? They just brought out Redfield, and the Redfields, are USA made once again. I have legacy, USA made 3 X9 and 6 X 18 Redfields.........work now as they did 30 years ago....thank God as my eyes are not getting better.

BTW, with my 6.5 X 20 USA made Leupold, I can see the .22" holes in a 200 yd target.

Zombiechopper: just tell her the deer were consuming her vegetables and are "pests". Don't forget , sprouts are not dead, until you CHEW THEM!!!

Leupold is not USA made anymore?
[snip]

Someone on here mentioned in another thread recently that some were assembled OS now ?

I'll dig it up.

[edit]
OK, found it on another forum I'm on.
I knew I read it somewhere :monkey:
Pat's a pretty straight shooter although he can a get pretty one eyed in his views at times. :D

Forget the loopy,they are assembled in America with Chinese parts and rely on their name to sell, Lynx are made in Japan with Hakko internals,Hakko used to supply Leopold but they went Chinese to increase profits.Leopold have had the lions share of competion use in America and Australia but they are loosing that in a big way as their quality has gone down. Pat

from here http://www.aulro.com/afvb/target/110954-if-you-had-350-scope-what-would-you-buy.html

Last edited:
Someone on here mentioned in another thread recently that some were assembled OS now ?

I'll dig it up.

I would tend to think their high end scopes are made here, maybe their entry level ones are from OS ?

I would tend to think their high end scopes are made here, maybe their entry level ones are from OS ?

What I remember reading is the lenses were Jap and the scopes were assembled in the US. That was probably 15 years ago though so who knows what's happened since. All I know is that Bushnell Elite just doesn't sound as good, even though I'm sure they're excellent, if not more so with some of the new coatings.

Back