beech wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have recently processed about 6 med size beech trees. what kind of drying time am i looking at ? and how does it burn?:givebeer: :greenchainsaw:

I have been letting it lay at least a 1 1/2 in log form and another couple of months split. I would guess 12 months in split condition would be okay.

I believe we have American Beech around us. Great firewood when completely seasoned.

Depends on where and how you pile it. My personal opinion is that Beech is a premium wood that has a good BTU value. Pile it on skids in a single row facing the sun, the sun and the air traveling through it should dry it in 8-12 weeks maybe sooner and then it can go undercover to season more.

Last edited:
Beech is one of my favorites. Little mess and great BTU's. Mine usually dries a minimum of 6 months.

I haven't had Beech for awhile, but when I did I liked it. It dried kind of fast and threw nice heat and burned with a nice, lively flame, which was nice to watch. I always think that the bark looks like Elephant skin...

:greenchainsaw:

Beech is a awsome wood to burn. If cut in the early spring, split, stacked in a sunny area w/ air movement by the end of March, you have no problems burning it in December. Plus when it is completly burned there's no ash.

One of my favorites, too. I have access to a beech and hemlock lot and will be burning both.

All the beech was cut last fall and either bucked into 16" rounds or, for the smaller stuff big enough to keep, cut into 4' lengths.

All the rounds, split in July, are ready for the stove. The 4' lengths, more recently cut to length, are stacked unsplit and seasoning nicely. Checked at the ends and much lighter than when stacked about 6 weeks ago. Helps that, after a real rainy 1st half of August, its been 75-80 and dry as a bone every day for 2 weeks.

does anyone have any idea how hemlock burns, i have alot of hem pulp and with the burning craze going on, thought i might sell some, does it spark?

Welcome to the site.
Just a little thread hi-jack here...;)

I understand Hemlock pops a little. I have burned a few pieces, but not a lot. Sure doesn't last very long. I would try it for yourself, before selling it to others.

Let us know what you think.

Latest posts

Back