beeches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dperez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in Argentina, in a subtropical zone. I was wondering if i can plant beeches here. The temperature is rarely down 0ºC in winter and 35ºC average in summer. Summer is wet.

I live in central Florida and we don't get freezing temps either. Can't say that I have ever seen beech trees in this area, so I would have to guess that they need colder temps.

<< insert chauvanist joke about 'beeches' here >> :p

Thanks for answer my question. I thought this because here i have seen liquidambar trees planted and grown without any problem. Are those trees from the same zones?
Daniel

Beech Trees

We have beech trees growing all over the place here, in the woods near Charleston, SC. I love the tree. I know that they like sandy soil and are very sensitive to soil compaction.
As far as the temps go, we do get some freezing every once in awhile but not much.

Daniel,
Its probably too warm for the beech to grow where you are. Here in west-central Florida, USA, we have the blue-beech, AKA American hornbeam or ironwood. I'll bet that would do well in your climate. The liquidambar can tolerate the heat better than the beech.

Maples

There has to be some form of Maple that will grow there. Your best bet with purchasing one is to buy it in Autumn, when the leaves are changing. I cant tell you how many times I've seen someone buy one in Spring, thinking that the Fall color will be brilliant, and then in Fall, they get a very minor color change. There are so many different varieties that you'll also need to make sure you're getting one that's right for the location (not too small or large) Once you find the right one you could clone it by rooting some cuttings.

Will

PS -
The beech trees we have around here do not have red leaves in the fall. They turn brown and hang around forever!!
I've seen a beech at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC though, that has red leaves all year. Gorgeous tree!!

This is the last question about the subject. Will maples grow here?.
Treeman 14 since our climates are the same perhaps we could trade seeds. I´m interested in blue beech. i can send you lapacho´s seed (Tabebuia impregtinosa). it has pink or yellow flowers in spring.

Thanks for all the advises.

I really sorry about what happen in NY. Something coward and stupid had happen.

:mad:

dperez

Unfortunately, my tree book only shows North America.
I'm not sure which maples would grow there, if any, but I'm checking into it for you.
I've found a forum that is all about maples (wont mention their name due to my utmost agreement with Darin :) and I've posted a thread to find whether there are maples that will grow in your area.
I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks - Will

A few excerps from

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/

Our tax dollars at work, enjoy!

The range of silver maple extends from New Brunswick to west to northern Michigan, northern Wisconsin and northern Minnesota; south to
southeastern South Dakota and eastern Oklahoma; east to northern Georgia; and north through western South Carolina and western North
Carolina to Maine.

It is found in northwestern Florida on the Apalachicola and Choctawhatchee rivers but is not otherwise found on the Gulf or Atlantic Coastal Plain [37].

Bigtooth maple has a spotty distribution, occurring in mountainous areas from southeastern Idaho and western Wyoming south to Arizona, New
Mexico, western Texas, and northern Mexico [38,39].

It is most common along a north-south axis from southeastern Idaho to central Utah, where it may form nearly solid stands.

Farther south, bigtooth maple occurs as isolated populations in numerous isolated mountain ranges.

Bigleaf maple occurs in the Pacific Coast region from just south of the Alaska Panhandle in British Columbia south through the western portions of Washington and Oregon to southern California [20].
It is generally restricted to the west side of the Sierra Nevada-Cascade crest [28]. Bigleaf maple's northern distribution is apparently restricted by cold temperatures.

Its southern and interior distribution seems restricted by insufficient moisture and humidity [20,30].

At the southern end of its range, bigleaf maple is usually restricted to canyons or riparian habitats [11,28].

Red maple is one of the most widely distributed trees in eastern North America [97].

Its range extends from Newfoundland and Nova Scotia west to southern Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois; south through
Missouri, eastern Oklahoma, and southern Texas; and east to southern Florida [64].

It is conspicuously absent from the bottomland forests of the Corn Belt in the Prairie Peninsula of the Midwest, the coastal prairies of southern Louisiana and southeastern Texas, and the swamp
prairie of the Florida everglades [97].

It is cultivated in Hawaii [102].

Sugar maple grows from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick westward to Ontario and Manitoba, southward through Minnesota, and eastern Kansas into northeastern Texas [46].

It extends eastward to Georgia and northward
through the Appalachian Mountains into New England [46,68].

Local populations occur in northwestern South Carolina, northern Georgia, and northeastern South Dakota [46].

Disjunct populations are known from the Wichita Mountains of southwestern Oklahoma [16].

Today, I sawed up some Blue Beech for picture frames and got some walking sticks as well.
Blue Beech is also known as Muscle Wood or hornbeam. Hornbeam means "tough wood", in German or Latin or something like that.
John
BlueBeech.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/sunlover3/Special pictures/BlueBeech2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/sunlover3/Special pictures/bb.jpg

Latest posts

Back