Been milling some more in the HEAT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It sure is hot here but you got to do what you got to do. (Mid to upper 90°) I'm probably going to be moving come January so I'm trying to get as much done as possible before then.

Cut up an oak log. It was 7' long and 30"-33" wide:

e9899135.jpg

e34041d9.jpg

c11347f9.jpg

61fb7e15.jpg

e7c5efd7.jpg

Here's all 6 slabs I cut (actually cut 5 in one day) ready to be stacked. I left them like that so I can easily pick them up with my skid steer.

19124af0.jpg

I also spent several hours with my skid steer feeding the burn pile with some old firewood that was too far gone.

c8e1ff30.jpg

The "small" rounds on this pile were probably 24" - 30" diameter. The large one on the right was over 5' diameter. It's still burning 24 hours later.

I had a much better time milling this go-round. I ground down my rakers much further than normal. I always felt like even with them adjusted, I was still having to push too hard to mill. I use the Husky raker gauge plate and it has the slot for the hard wood and soft wood. I used to always use the hard wood slot. This time I tried the soft wood slot and I worked great. When I was milling that pecan up on that slope, it really did self-feed and it didn't stall the chain out like I was afraid it might. It was very easy to control.

I need to get back out there today and finish that pecan and then do the other pecan log that is about that same size.

That burn pile makes me sweat just looking at it. Like the milling setup, beautiful wood.Nice job. :msp_thumbup:

You sure found some pieces with nice grain, and did a great job cutting it to good advantage. Nice to see how the project is progressing. Looking forward to seeing the final product.:clap:

Scott

to, too, and two
there, they're, and their
your and you're
Doesn't anyone know the difference anymore?

You know, this is just one of my 'pet peeves'....love it!!

Back to the topic:
The skid steer, why would you not be taking that with you in the move? After all, those giant slabs will need something to move them around!

Actually, I am hoping you move across the street from me....I could just borrow the skid steer and you could borrow my sawmill(sounds like a plan, do I need to send you some directions?)

Scott (need a good neighbor) B

Back