Been running the Chomper a little.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not good at all on seasoned oak, just shatters it.
The guy that I'm doing this for had some Red Oak trucked in from Oklahoma this fall. He was amazed at how this little machine just sheared the wood off with no effort. He brought over 5 or 6 pieces of Red Oak, about 12" dia., and about 3/4 seasoned. It sheared those pieces in half about as easy as it did the Doug Fir.

Andy

I stand corrected!

Not trying to correct you. I don't know if it would be anygood in your application or not. I was just kinda pleased to find out that it sheared the Red Oak that well. I didn't split any of it, and that may be where problems arise.

Andy

No, I am not taking that way, but if it will cut green Oak, it will most likely split it.
So I stand corrected on saying it's a soft wood machine. That is all.

When I had a try out (demo) of the same rig as Andy's S-14 autocycle that's all we fed it was hardwood. Maple and Birch logs was the pile we processed with it and they were all 10-12" stuff. Typical firewood logs up here. It went through these without a hitch and was impressive too me since this was their smallest machine. I can imagine that the bigger models (even of this one)with 36hp Deere deisel and bigger pumps would be pretty impressive.

Here's the start of the next run for the Chomper.

Logs005.jpg

Logs008.jpg

There's 2 more loads going out tomorrow to go with these 2.
I sure seem to be getting buisy durring this economy.

Andy

Assumptions from reading the thread

First, it is a very impressive machine. Very impressive. And it is paid for already!! Nice going. Did you have work lined up before you bought the machine (commitments for folks to supply the kind of wood shown in your photo of the log trucks off-loading the stems) or did it materialize after your bought it? Sort of like the old aphorism "When the student is ready, the teacher appears".

I assume that you are the processor of the provided logs. The contractor or owner got the logs felled, bucked, limbed and hauled to be turned into firewood at a given site, where you are set up. Then another step has to occur, which is the loading, hauling and stacking for drying of the split wood. If sold green, the purchaser has to do the stacking. However, the firewood provider has to have the big dump trucks and something to load the split wood with. What does the firewood provider use?

If you charge $40 per hour, the wood provider must have paid for the stems, and all the labor already in them. Are these providers usually already loggers? And what is the demand level for wood in your area? And what is the going price for split fire wood per cord, green and/or dry? I suspect nobody is getting rich but may be making a living. Hard to do unless you own the stumpage and have for decades. Then the compound rate of value gain to stump can make a significant difference. The Brits call it "soil rent" and there is a whole economic calculation around the replanting and growing to some rotation age that makes sense.

Up here in Washington state the price for delivered firewood is between $150 and $225 per cord, depending on where you are, the species and how dry it is purported to be. And getting a true cord can be problematic as many deliver the wood in a pick up truck. Unless it is a full sized truck, with sides, it can't haul a true cord. I've several friends who have gotten stung, paying $150 for a "cord" that was, in fact, 0.6 cords, which works out to $250 per cord.

Thanks for your information and your pictures. What I'm looking for is an inexpensive kindling machine. I have access to lots of Western Red cedar, which makes wonderful kindling. I found several machines in Britain but they are NOT inexpensive. There is a Toronto distributor for them.

And kindling must be more dear over there than over here to make the economics work. Here, kindling is a by-product of the mills processing dried wood. 0.5 cubic feet goes for $6. That works out to $1200 per cord.

The Discoverer

firewood

Hahaha. I saw this 2 year old thread dredged up and couldn't resist.
I've been at it again.

1007111700a.jpg

1007111701.jpg

Andy

Ah, softwood heaven!!!!!!,

Any chance you have a railspur nearby Andy,
and a bunch of empty spine cars to load pallets
of firewood on?

;):rock::heart::msp_wub:

I dont know Andy, that pile dont look that big now:msp_thumbup: will know more on the truck tomorrow I hope as it was in the "O.R." this afternoon:msp_unsure:

Roy

Latest posts

Back