Greenhorn in Northern Illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTreeTime

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be hanging out here more than just skimming and researching things like in the past.

I've found a love for saws, wood, and always have enjoyed everything about trees / outdoors. I've tackled some sub 14" brush trees here and there. Tons of what i "believe" is decent pruning, and since acquiring my home have bucked tons of storm damage and three dead trees I had the professionals fell. Ash & silver maple mostly, and some black walnut limbs. Tons of firewood for indoor and outdoor use at home now. Some has been delegated to an attempt at growing mushrooms.

On this journey over the past 2 years a love for "tree work" developed quickly. I've acquired a Husqvarna 50 rancher in rough condition and have now got it pretty sorted. Have a small dewalt battery powered saw for some things but I find it really sad for most work, honestly the dewalt reciprocating saw with pruning blades can often embarrass the saw, and it's fantastic for removing small stumps and roots well below ground level. I also have a commercial grade manual pole saw and snipper I got at a local landscaping center. I have a f350 and the minimum cheapy PPE set for starters. Getting okay at filing the chain. Better than dull. I also have found I really enjoy chopping firewood regardless of my efficiency for now. I'm looking at Husqvarna 55 rancher used... do to sharing many components with my 50 and just to have both as a back up to the other for little investment.

I've spent countless hours "studying" and being entertained by the full spectrum of tree, wood, and saw personalities online. I'm in Manufacturing during work hours, mechanical engineering and quality control mostly. I'm looking to continue at a minimum expanding my home and personal use of saws and expand my knowledge into the actual arborist world of things. Maybe a cert. some day. Working on a big garden to....

Now we come to my two separate needs to really hang out here:

1) I've acquired a property with wall to wall white pines and like a whopping 6 poplars that needs love. About 8.5 acres, somewhere between 6000-10000 pines I estimate roughly. This property will need a drive way and 1-3 acres cleared. I'm leaning towards heavy equipment to do most of this but will have plenty of saw use there and plan to perhaps utilize a lot of the pine for a minimum of fence posts, shelters, sheds, etc... But have asperations up to timber frame construction of a home. In the mean time I also need to clear all dead trees and perhaps thin the entire property out in general... It was set up as some sort of tree farm but I have not gotten a exact history on it yet. This is a for sure thing I'm tackling right now. Sketchiest thing so far is how every single dead pine practically wants to break in half like clockwork...

2) I really enjoy the outdoors, physical labor, and trees... I intend to after a little more practice and experience start seeking out simple jobs the big guys don't want and then eventually bid competitively on the smaller stuff. I have some asperations to climb "safe" trees. But I plan to do this all part time and have a good full time career, which I do enjoy... Which causes a problem getting experience; hard to find a crew interested in training someone less than part time, which is fair. So I feel I'm pretty much on my own. I plan to take things slow and steady. I do have one possible connection that works in a 1-2 man setup, but uncertain of that actually panning out. As I go down this route I look to add better PPE, a pro grade all-around saw, and one "large" saw for big cuts and standing up while I buck type situations. Trying to stay away from the chipper, dump trailers, buckets, and grinders for a good amount of time. Plan to process firewood on site if possible or rent these when needed. Don't have the capital or space to store them at the moment. (7 acres is pretty far from home base and barely has one car's worth of parking cleared out. I also enjoy yard clean up and pruning... But don't really want to get into lawn maintenance due to uncertain schedule.

I'm really just rambling at this point, but here I am.

It's a pleasure to be here. Probably. Maybe. Definitely.

Latest posts

Back