Bees!! what do yall do about them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imgres
white faced hornets. they make me cringe when i see them.

Just killed a hornets nest the other night in a hedge row that would have stung my kid when mowing the lawn .You have got to look for them now they are all around now KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.

Last edited:
imgres

Just killed a hornets nest the other night in a hedge row that would have stung my kid when mowing the lawn .You have got to look for them now they are all around now KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.

Thats for sure i seen 15 Nests yesterday riding the atv. Scary stuff

Man, i hate hornets especially in the ground. Nasty suckers...the last ones that got me was in a skid loader. I was pushing some old rotten trees along my driveway over the bank and all of a sudden the cab was filled with them. Got nailed 4 times. Did manage to turn the key off though. SOB they hurt. I think im partially allergic too because i swell up like a balloon when i get stung by anything in the area that gets hit. I was a little nervous what that many stings would do to me but it never progressed to my airway or anything...maybe i should check on the epi pen just in case.

yep epi pen and benadryl work together also a breathing treatment the three combined helps those with allergic reactions to bee stings i been nailed by a hornet before while laying on the ground

I tried to remove a hornets nest in a tree in the woods a long time ago by shooting it with a 20 guage shotgun. Actually I was hoping to drop it on my buddy's atv trailer while he was gone, shot it 3 times from inside the truck. Surprising how tough those things are, never blew apart or even got the hornets very riled up. Maybe next time I should use a blunder bust loaded with gravel.

hornets nest in a tree

I tried to remove a hornets nest in a tree in the woods a long time ago by shooting it with a 20 guage shotgun. Actually I was hoping to drop it on my buddy's atv trailer while he was gone, shot it 3 times from inside the truck. Surprising how tough those things are, never blew apart or even got the hornets very riled up. Maybe next time I should use a blunder bust loaded with gravel.

I tried the same thing many years ago, same result. But I was young then. I've since learned that hornets actually are useful members of the ecosystem, they destroy other harmful insects. As long as they stay high up in a tree, they're harmless. In my opinion, we should only destroy their nests when they are down at ground level where they can actually do us physical harm.

My parents used to have a large, thick hedge beside their driveway. One year, a basketball sized hornets nest appeared in this hedge, and every day people were walking and driving close by this nest, nobody was ever stung. However, upon discovery, the nest had to go. They set the nest on fire and burned 'em all out, they were very lucky. Imagine inviting visitors to your home and then having to drive them to the ER....

hornets and bees are more dangerous than snakes!

I think im partially allergic too because i swell up like a balloon when i get stung by anything in the area that gets hit. I was a little nervous what that many stings would do to me but it never progressed to my airway or anything...maybe i should check on the epi pen just in case.

My daughter lives in the country and has a clothesline, or a to use a fancier term, they have a solar clothes drier. One morning her husband puts his pants on and she is startled to see him frantically smacking his leg and then pulling his pants back off as fast as he could. A wasp had decided that his pants were a good place to hang out, he got nailed twice by the critter.

Lots of people out there are terrified of snakes. Truth is, bees, wasps, and hornets kill a lot more people world wide than snakes do. Every now and then, you'll see stories in the news about someone dying because they didn't have an epi pen handy. The one nice thing about snakes is that they can't fly!

For the most part if you leave them alone they will return the favor. We have lots of paper wasp around the property and they are beneficial. It's surprising how close you can get to them if you act in a non aggressive manor.

Here's a close up of a paper wasp eating a imported cabbage caterpillar on brussel sprouts this spring in the garden.

attachment.php

Your picture didn't show up TreeCo. I really need it so I can print it, frame it and hang it beside the garden as a warning to other cabbage caterpillars.:hmm3grin2orange:

Did you know that the fat and slow bumble bee can fly faster than 14 mph? How do I know you ask? I ran over a bumble bee nest with the bush hog this weekend. The tractor supposedly does 14 mph wide open and they were catching me. I'm sure that the sight of me trying to drive with one hand and spraying starting fluid with the other was pretty comical.

wow thats hard there. I still remeber the time i rolled a quad ontop of a yellow jackets nest. I was under the quad. damn it hurt. I know my dog reacts with bad swelling to stings, Does yours?

He was a Lab. His snout swelled up and one eye was about closed. He must have got hit on the haunches a few times because he was pretty stoved up for a couple days. The vet told me to give him benedryl and tylenol. I think the benedryl made him pretty tired. He just layed low for a few days but came out of it OK. One of my stings was on the wrist and it hurt all the way to my shoulder--They Suck!!!

Back