beetles in southeastern Oklahoma?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehuggerwoman

Reaction score
Does anyone know what I can do to save my trees in SE Oklahoma? The area has those pine borer beetles, the state has dropped three different kinds of lady bugs for the last six years (they are such a mess, they smell, yuk) but it doesnt seem to be working, lots of the trees are dieing, I have 65 acres of loblolly pines, the prices are too low to cut (I have been told) and I really want to save them. All of the land owners are trying to find something natural that will work, but have found nothing to date.

Help??? Anyone??:chainsaw:

I hope for the best for you. I saw lots of beetle kill pine during a brief stint on the MS gulf coast- Katrina tree rehab.

You have 3 choices, naturally the third is do nothing. 1. Largely unrealistic, is regular dousing with pesticide. The means entire coverage. Regularly. Possible, but lots of $, etc. Sorry.

2. Support the vigor of the tree. Mulch 2-4 in. deep, from the base of the tree out a far as you dare, the more the better. Water (deep infrequent soak) during doughty conditions. Thin the stand to alleviate competition (if it is a forest type env.)

Sorry, its a tough one. Good luck.

Thank you for that information

I am doing a lot of the first one, nothing... and there are too many trees to spray from the ground ( 65 acres ) and it is extremely remote, difficult to get to, that is why I love it up there.

If the lady bugs dont work, I am not sure what I will do. I wonder if the timber mill would even want trees like that, if the wood is any good.

Do you know if a logger would come up and take all of the trees down? We may not have to worry about them, there are some pretty big fires east of the area and if they dont stop them, we may not have an issue.

It would probably take 25 years to grow them all back. Thank you again for your info

:cry:

I take care of a property here in Tulsa where I spray all the pines twice a year and we are still losing pines. I had 40 on this complex last year and I'm now down to 31. Had to take out 9 last year. The home owners association is getting more serious about maintenance now after having to pay me to remove 9 trees last year. Don't know what to tell you about your situation if aerial application is not an option. You might be able to sell the wood for pulp but I know of no mills here.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's the same or similar to the bark beetle we have out here there is nothing you can do once they have attacked a tree.
The best result's we've had out here is when we go in and remove all the effected tree's. I mean remove, don't leave anything laying around. That seems to give the rest of the trees a fighting chance.

Andy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's the same or similar to the bark beetle we have out here there is nothing you can do once they have attacked a tree.
The best result's we've had out here is when we go in and remove all the effected tree's. I mean remove, don't leave anything laying around. That seems to give the rest of the trees a fighting chance.

Andy

Nothing works, most of this provinces pines are done, end of story. Massive death. Cut 'em down while the wood is still good.

When you replant

Bring in a diverse species stand that is less susceptible to insect or disease or fire.

==========

This isn't a Walt Disney movie.

Every tree wasn't meant to live forever.

Just keep the collaterial damage down.

Its a 25 y.o. stand. Was it ever thinned up to this age? Stems per acre? You can sell wood right now, probably, maybe at just enough to pay for the logging but that may be what it takes to save the remaining stand, so be it. In the words of an old consulting forester, wood is worth what they're paying at the gate (not what it once was worth, or what it could be worth)- just a saying.

So try thinning it out hard. Really hard. Talk to a state DNR or DOF forester or university extension about thinning for health. Ask about growing the remainder out for utility poles- longer rotation but good money.

But its true, if the beetles already hit, the tree is toast.

Latest posts

Back