Before and After prune pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Lumberjack
I also said that at 12:01 limbs were fallin, so it might be good to have the lines outa the way:D

Here you have to work on their schedule, usually 3-5 days out. They will get there no earlier then 9am too.

Originally posted by Lumberjack
or we could schedule a time to put the lines back on the house and pole:). I also said that at 12:01 limbs were fallin, so it might be good to have the lines outa the way:D

Slamming a service drop seldom is only a matter of the pwr co hooking the line back to the pole.

You can rip out the weatherhead, fascia, soffets, and even get into damaging the roof.

The last weatherhead I bought cost me $350. And that was 10 years ago.

No more of that for me, thankyouverymuch!:(

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I guess the one I paid $250 for last summer was a bargain then. One bad cut to wipe out a whole day's pay. :rolleyes:

Uhh, yea... mine ran into the extra damage I wuz speaking of... :eek:

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Here you have to work on their schedule, usually 3-5 days out. They will get there no earlier then 9am too.

Here they require a 2 day notice. They will take it down at 9:00 AM till 3 PM when they have to put it back up. On the last job I told them to drop them at 12:00. At 10 till 12 they called and asked if I still wanted them down:rolleyes: so they were down at 12:30 and back up at 3 cutting out 30 min. Oh well, I took a 15 min break and was still done.

Excel is pretty good aboung gettin lines down for me. Ya just kinda got to get on their case about being on time, Usually I have everything set up and ready to go, only to be waiting on the lineman to come out and get the line down. If its just little trim jobs I will usually just work around the lines but on a removal I will usually have them de-energized and dropped. Hey what can I say? Im to good lookin to die young.!!!

Kenn

:Monkey:

If your local utility has a forestry division they will often do a trim or a partial removal to prevent any problems, this is for a fee, but if you take that into account when bidding the job and get into a good working relationship with the utility it can be very profitable.

Our power company (Cinergy) is really good about dropping lines. They won't drop transmission lines in winter unless they have to. If it's any of the other three season's they need 7-10 days notice for transmission lines and no more than 36 hours for service lines. They usually show up within 30 minutes of when you schedule them and you just call them to have them reconnected. In the summer some jobs have run late and it's just a different guy on the next shift that reconnects them. If there are limbs in the transmission lines they'll have Asplundh remove them for free. This is when the beer and money bribes go along way in making your job easier. $50 and a couple cases can get a tree down to a spar if it's in the right location.:D
As far as telephone and cable wire go we usually remove and reconnect them ourselves. The phone and cable companies never show up here.

Tomato, Toe-mat-toe.......I'm an arborist not an electrician. They (Cinergy employees) have always refered to them as transmission lines and service lines. If it makes you feel better I'll call them primary distribution lines. If your unclear as to what I'm talking about PM me and I'll explain it in simpler terms for you. If your playing semantics be prepared to have serious issues with a lot of post. Different areas have colloquialisms that are not the same as the area you're in. They still call tow trucks wreckers here and I've yet to see one cause the accident.

I'm sure you'll post your point.

I don't see any harm in playing semantics on a lines discussion, primaries=transmission,sure I'll buy that , I have no reason to question your's or anybody else's competence, but hey' why not bring it up?
We (the company i presently work for)are very specific whether we are dealing with primaries, sub-transmission, or transmission lines in proximity to our work, the sad fact is that a lot of treeworkers don't know the difference between lines except which ones are"hot" or not(if even) and have little or no contact with their power co. at all. I'm relatively new to this industry compared to a lot of people on this site( 7 yrs) and don't claim to be a know it all by any stretch, but i do know that i caught a good tingle in '99 when a small branch on a maple i was removing laid down on a 7200V primary that was running through it . There was no reason that line couldn't have been de-energized , but my boss had no working relationship with the power co. and didn't know much about lines anyway, truth is he had no business putting me in that tree and i had no business being there. Now i work in close proximity to lines a lot, as does my crew, whose safety i am responsible for, at the very least in terms of how i set up the job, and i want to make ???? sure i never repeat the mistake of my former boss by putting an inexperienced crew member in mortal danger due to my ignorance, and i like to know exactly what I'm working around, although I'm definitely not an electrician,only an arborist. so, anyway, that was my point

Back