--------BEFORE CHAINSAWS-----firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cutting up limbs to burn in the stove. I figured they'd at least be useful in the woodstove and put out some heat instead of burning in the slash pile. I can't seem to cut that small with my chainsaws, so I've been doing it by hand, with a pruning saw or a small (dunno what to call it, it has teeth like a crosscut) saw. It goes quickly and I can listen to the radio while cutting.

Oh, I do think I heard my dad talk about using black powder to split wood. He grew up on the wet side of our fair state where the trees were still large, as were the sturgeon.
You sound like my wife with her lopers. She goes around the yard cutting off low hanging branches and stacking them by the fire pit.

A two year old thread that was enjoyable to read.
Closest I ever got to harvesting firewood without a chainsaw was going camping. Always took a pole axe and chopped up downed stuff for campfire wood. I do have a almost new crosscut saw. It has a handsaw handle on one end and a straight handle on the other end. It can be used as a two man or one man saw. I also have a big bow saw. I have never used either of them and hope I dont have to. Got to keep em, cant use them if you dont have them, rather have one and not need it than not have one and do need it.
I used one as a kid bucking logs. Hated it when dad loaded up the wagon and called me to help fall a tree. That crosscut earned its nickname "misery stick" in falling duty.

I guess its a bow saw, had a thin blade about 1 in tall, worked good for us. There is an old house in my neighborhood that has 5 chimneys on it, 365 days a year keeping them going.

This is the saw my Dad used up till the early 60's. Small limbing saws really hadn't come around yet. I found the helper handle at an antique shop for a buck, so I put it on. When my Dad was 79 he still had biceps the size of grapefruits, Joe.

This is the saw my Dad used up till the early 60's. Small limbing saws really hadn't come around yet. I found the helper handle at an antique shop for a buck, so I put it on. When my Dad was 79 he still had biceps the size of grapefruits, Joe.

That is awesome!!!!

Back