Before the 346xp or the ps5100s or ms 260?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, I agree completely. The Partner 500/5000 and Jonsered 490 were the 50cc saws to beat. Jonsered has had a higher performing 50cc saw since the introduction of the 490. After the 490 was the 2051 and then the 2055. Now we have the 2153. I don't think any other brand can make that claim.

I still think a 490 and 2051 will hold it's own against any of today's saws.

I agree with Mark and Plant, the Partner pioneer 500/5000 were the top dog for a long time. I've seen some ported 5000's run as strong or stronger than the current 50cc saws.:cheers:

Last edited:
There is no doubt the 346xp is the best one for trigger responce (accelleration) and handling, which is very important for a limbing saw! :)

attachment.php

:jawdrop::laugh::laugh::laugh:
That has to be a joke - that is a relic that weights as much as the MS361, and the 361 will get the job done much faster.

Btw, the 361 also handles better and (at least he Euro one) accellerates a lot better than the 5100S, and was my favourite limbing saw until I got the 346xp. :givebeer:

Last edited:
Dolmar 111i or 115i...... Easy to start, lightweight, handled excellent, solid saw that was introduced way back in 1986 and had a 20 year sales history with many happy users. Would wear trolls fav .325" or the more durable 3/8" bar and chain combos from 15"-20" and had torque enough to handle it.

i
Scott
i wonder if thats the model i used to have i remember it was lighter or seemed lighter than my 254 and cut faster this was around 1990

Who had the best 50cc saw, for limbing
and etc?

That has to be a joke - that is a relic that weights as much as the MS361, and the 361 will get the job done much faster.

Btw, the 361 also handles better and (at least he Euro one) accellerates a lot better than the 5100S, and was my favourite limbing saw until I got the 346xp. :givebeer:

The joke is on you Troll!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

The 028 has cut more wood than those torqueless wonders you champion.

Look at all of the 028s still running, the value that they hold, and the popularity of maintenance and rebuild threads on this very site.

Comparing a 1970's saw to a 21st century saw is laughable at best. The 361 will have to cut for years before it will equal the take of the 028.

The truth....embrace it.

Husqvarna 246, not quite as fast as a 346 but feels lighter when you are using it. I ran my mine side by side to an 026 and the 246 was noticeably stronger and faster.

you miss the point.

it says Stihl on it.they can't swallow their pride and buy a Husky so they are grabing at straws.pretty sad.i run mostly Husky but i have a couple of Stihls because i just like that particular model.i even have a Husky that will smoke it but i still just like the Stihl.Husky's are better saws though.

Last edited:
it says Stihl on it.they can't swallow their pride and buy a Husky so they are grabing at straws.pretty sad.i run mostly Husky but i have a couple of Stihls because i just like that particular model.i even have a Huky that will smoke iot but i still just like the Stihl.Husky's are better saws though.

WTF would you know about it? I know what you can swallow, but I can assure you it isn't my pride.

I have stated many times on this site that my next saw would likely be a Jonsered 2153.

If you keep your mouth shut, $hit won't run out of it...

I really like the Partner P5000 of Cut-4-Funs I ran a couple weeks back, I liked it so much that I am looking for one, and if I come across one it will be mine:) It was a strong running saw, it was a surprise to run for sure, I couldn't believe it it felt like a modern saw:)

Last edited:

So when did the 346 come out (1990s?), I'm ignorant of orange? and when the 028 super (1985)?

Thread is about "OLD" saws......

Yup the 028 S is portly, but it's built stronger than a tank and is fine in 16 " hardwoods.

A agree about the mass, I use my 036 MOST of the time. But my 028 S is MORE RELIABLE. Probably will outlast my 036 s too.....

Before the 346xp or the ps5100s or ms 260?
Who had the best 50cc saw, for limbing and etc?

I don't know if it was the best, but the Poulan 3000 (49cc) we got in '86 was still cutting strong earlier this year. It was light enough, fast acceleration and high revving, well balanced and suited a 16" just right, and like I said very reliable, it was our go to saw for limbing and a little more for a couple decades.

Last edited:
The joke is on you Troll!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

The 028 has cut more wood than those torqueless wonders you champion.

Look at all of the 028s still running, the value that they hold, and the popularity of maintenance and rebuild threads on this very site.

Comparing a 1970's saw to a 21st century saw is laughable at best. The 361 will have to cut for years before it will equal the take of the 028.

The truth....embrace it.

Well said! And ya know Troll doesn't want to hear that last part.:dizzy:

Where I live the so called" limbing saws , sub 50cc, are our every day saws. Perfect for pulp wood. Here is what I have owned;

Partner 5000, Jonsered 490,590, Husky 242,246,346, Stihl 024,024S,026,260,028,028S, Redmax 5000, Dolmar 115si and5100.

Favorite --242, ported 246 close 2nd.

No question in my mind. Dolmar and Dolmar.

109, 111, 115, 520, and 540.

About 14 lbs loaded out to cut and will run 3/8 chisel chain all day long.

They also seem to last forever.:chainsaw:

Where I live the so called" limbing saws , sub 50cc, are our every day saws. Perfect for pulp wood. Here is what I have owned;

Partner 5000, Jonsered 490,590, Husky 242,246,346, Stihl 024,024S,026,260,028,028S, Redmax 5000, Dolmar 115si and5100.

Favorite --242, ported 246 close 2nd.

Yep, Crazy I agree there not just for limbing. I used that term for lack of a better one.:cheers:

Do you still cut professionally?

Latest posts

Back