Beginner Basic Climbing Equip?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not like the Buckingham saddle as much as others. I do not think many on here climb with them. I thought they were large and stiff.
Hate to disagree with you masiman, but that is the reason i like buckingham. Been climbing with pinnacles for many years now (with the large d's.) They are big and heavy but i carry alot of gear up a tree and they hold the weight well. Tried a newtribe for a couple weeks early this year. Put on a 357, a couple blocks, fliplines, a bull rope or two, assorted biners, etc, and it just didn't seem to carry the weight well even with a shoulder strap. I've dropped 395's on the end of a 10 foot lanyard hooked to the pinnacle and it seems to soak up the shock pretty well. (Still hurts a bit but not as bad as even dropping a 346 the same distance on the new tribe.) Besides, climb daily a couple weeks with a pinnacle, get it rained on a couple times, sweat through it a few times, and it breaks in nicely. And they wear like iron. I'm in my saddle 50+ hours a week and the buckinghams take a long time to wear out.
I may have skimmed past it but what saddle are you using?

FWIW, I tried the combo you're describing exactly...XTC, Beeline splittail and Blakes and it didn't work well at all. The knot either bound up or backed out to the stopper no matter how turns I put on it. Just couldn't find the right combination. I chalked it up the the Beeline not marrying well with the XTC. Both are very good rope, I just don't think they work well together.
I'd take booboo's advice on the Bee-line/XTC combo. Hopefully a search in Arborist 101 or Commercial can turn up some combo's that people like.

Well, hate to disagree again, but have been using beeline with xtc for quite a while now. True, not with the blakes, but other friction hitches work very good with this combo. Been using 8mm beeline in a distal on xtc for my fliplines for over a year now and 10mm beeline in a martin on xtc for my climbing line for six months. I love this combo. Never had any problems with xtc on xtc with a blakes either.

There is a group of climbers who enter tree using spikes and a lanyard and just take a climbing rope along for a second tie and for easy access back to the ground and I assume of course for some limb walking.

Come on man, you don't have to look down your nose at all us spikers! Some of us do removals for a living.:D

Well, hate to disagree again, but have been using beeline with xtc for quite a while now. True, not with the blakes, but other friction hitches work very good with this combo. Been using 8mm beeline in a distal on xtc for my fliplines for over a year now and 10mm beeline in a martin on xtc for my climbing line for six months. I love this combo. Never had any problems with xtc on xtc with a blakes either.
:D

No sweat. As I recall, you've said you're somewhat bigger than my 160# before gear. Maybe it's a weight thing with that combo, maybe Blakes isn't the best hitch for the combo since the friction is very concentrated with a Blakes, I didn't try it with a martin or distal, who knows. Just sayin' it didn't work well for me. That's why we all keep trying stuff till we get the right set-up.

Once again, :cheers:

Hate to disagree with you masiman, but that is the reason i like buckingham. Been climbing with pinnacles for many years now (with the large d's.) They are big and heavy but i carry alot of gear up a tree and they hold the weight well. Tried a newtribe for a couple weeks early this year. Put on a 357, a couple blocks, fliplines, a bull rope or two, assorted biners, etc, and it just didn't seem to carry the weight well even with a shoulder strap. I've dropped 395's on the end of a 10 foot lanyard hooked to the pinnacle and it seems to soak up the shock pretty well. (Still hurts a bit but not as bad as even dropping a 346 the same distance on the new tribe.) Besides, climb daily a couple weeks with a pinnacle, get it rained on a couple times, sweat through it a few times, and it breaks in nicely. And they wear like iron. I'm in my saddle 50+ hours a week and the buckinghams take a long time to wear out.
I may have skimmed past it but what saddle are you using?

Doh!! I am using a Buckingham Pinnacle. What I meant to write was that I found the WEAVER's to be heavy and stiff. The Pinnacle was a much nicer fit from what I felt in the Weaver. Although I have to say that I did not climb in the Weaver, only after trying it on and reading what others were using did I opt for the Pinnacle. I think I made a good selection. I do like the batten saddle. When I was first wearing it, I tried to wear it at my hips and got some pretty deep bruises. I know wear it buckled over my hips and have no hip bruising. I probably wear mine about 5 hours a week, 15 if I am lucky :). My load is my 10' steel core, zubat, biners, small pulley, ditty bag (some 8mm utility line, slings, scrench, figure 8, webbing),first aid kit. Depending on how I can set up and how high I have to go, I might trail my climbing line, bull line, whoopie and block. I almost always haul the saw up after I am ready to cut. All my tie-ins are to DMM steel biners. They are heavier but I have less worry during my learning stage about a biner failing from cross loading.

I was only trying to let CA know that without other first hand knowledge, he'd probably do okay using booboo's info to help him pick his rope combo. I have no experience using any of the higher tech eye-to-eye tails.

I am somewhat in the same boat as CA. I am currently using ArborMaster with a High Vee split tail. I was thinking of trying out some of the eye-to-eye hitches (VT, Schwabish, Distal). They look slick and apparently work a little smoother. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. It seems like Beeline or Ice is the way to go. Tenex is interesting stuff, but I am not a fan of how easily it snags. That Distal can't go both ways (2in1), can it? Why the different diameter Beeline on your flipline vs. your climbing line? I'm only about 145#.

I was just reading that other thread about the Martin/Mihochoan or however it is spelled. I guess that is another knot to learn.

I really need to hook up with someone local to move me on to that next level.

Last edited:
I am somewhat in the same boat as CA. I am currently using ArborMaster with a High Vee split tail. I was thinking of trying out some of the eye-to-eye hitches (VT, Schwabish, Distal). They look slick and apparently work a little smoother. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. It seems like Beeline or Ice is the way to go. Tenex is interesting stuff, but I am not a fan of how easily it snags. That Distal can't go both ways (2in1), can it? Why the different diameter Beeline on your flipline vs. your climbing line? I'm only about 145#.

The distal can go both ways. I like the 4/1 for regular flipline work but if you want to go both ways, seems the 3/2 works better. And take out the micro pulley! But always thought the prussic was better for this application.

The different diameter on flipline and climbing line? I really, really like the way the 8mm beeline runs on the xtc. So started using it on my fliplines and climbing lines. But i spent alot of years using a tautline or a blakes-big, bulky friction hitches. I just couldn't get used to the feel of the 8mm under my hand on the friction hitch even after a month of use. Just seemed like there was nothing there and nothing to grab onto. So switched to the 10mm to give a little more bulk to my friction hitch and kept the 8mm on my flip lines.

145 lbs must be nice. 275 without my gear and haven't had a hitch fail me yet.:laugh:

145 lbs must be nice. 275 without my gear and haven't had a hitch fail me yet.:laugh:

I'll think about that the next time I'm in the tree and my mind can't stop thinking about my tie-ins failing :).

This was about 3 years ago, but I had a buddy that weighed more than my entire family (me, wife and then 3 kids). I think we finally edged past him with the kids getting bigger and the new baby :hmm3grin2orange:

Even though some think I am small, I like my size and weight. Probably the hardest thing for me is handling the cold. Plus I always have to prove myself when playing with the bigger boys. Clothes shopping is definitely easier. Equipment can be tough though. Hard to find small waist size stuff. 34 inch waist seems to be where you need to be for alot of things. I was a 28" for years. I think I have finally spread to a 30".

Last edited:
The distal is a one way friction hitch!

I usually make it a habit to not argue with a woman, but i don't agree with you on this. Granted, the 4/1 will not go both ways. But am working with a climber right now that uses a 3/2 distal on his 2-in 1 and he seems to have no problems with it. Also last spring, i met a climber on the other side of the state who used a funky 3/3 distal on his 2-in -1. (Not really sure if it could even be called a distal, but was tied the same way with just an extra third turn on the bottom. Tightened up like you wouldn't believe either.)

However, this is probably moot. This guy has a ways to go before he starts thinking about distals. Will agree that the prussic is the way to go in this situation.

Latest posts

Back