Bel-Ray H1R Redux

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am the OP and I make a solemn promise, no matter how much my feelings are hurt, that I will never delete this thread.

Going back to the ultralight tests. They showed that H1R used 15% more mix when run under the same load as the other oils in the test. This has been born out anecdotally as virtually everyone that has used this oil has had to open up the jets, sometimes dramatically, in order to bring it into tune. Is this a valid conclusion?

Tests were done some time ago that showed that increasing the oil, to as far down as 8 to 1, increased the horsepower, as long as the motors were properly tuned. Are these tests still valid? Has anyone run similar tests using the oils that are currently available?

Tests were done some time ago that showed that increasing the oil, to as far down as 8 to 1, increased the horsepower, as long as the motors were properly tuned. Are these tests still valid? Has anyone run similar tests using the oils that are currently available?

Why don't you make up and run some of your own tests, with a saw, and then we'll all know for sure!

I would like to know if this is still valid as well. Those tests were done using much older and inferior products than what we have today.

It seems that some of the old two-stroke rules of thumb were established when high-octane leaded gas was the norm, and have persisted regardless of modern changes in fuels and lubricants. I don't know how the old hi-test leaded would have influenced the optimum oil ratio, but I expect it would've had some effect.

I am the OP and I make a solemn promise, no matter how much my feelings are hurt, that I will never delete this thread.

Going back to the ultralight tests. They showed that H1R used 15% more mix when run under the same load as the other oils in the test. This has been born out anecdotally as virtually everyone that has used this oil has had to open up the jets, sometimes dramatically, in order to bring it into tune. Is this a valid conclusion?
Yes.

There is a guy over on Bobistheoilguy named Cujet that has done this. He worked for a off shore boat racing team as I recall.

I would like to know if this is still valid as well. Those tests were done using much older and inferior products than what we have today.
Tests like this were run in the 90's and the results were the same. The guy I mentioned above would be the one to talk to on this as he was present for the testing with Mercury Marine IIRC.

It seems that some of the old two-stroke rules of thumb were established when high-octane leaded gas was the norm, and have persisted regardless of modern changes in fuels and lubricants. I don't know how the old hi-test leaded would have influenced the optimum oil ratio, but I expect it would've had some effect.
I would expect the fuel not to matter. Oils have changed, but I would remind everyone that ester synthetics were around in the 70's and 80's. It's easy to make the mistake in thinking saws are high tech but they are not. Two cycle oils are really about the same. The technology has really changed little in the last 20 years. I will say the OEM oils have gotten much better as they were still running bright stock doped formulas in the 2000's.

BTW in regards to Maxima K2. I have been running it and am very impressed thus far. I pulled the decompression valve and spark plug on my stock 562xp and I am liking what I see. Very low levels deposits, very low smoke and it runs perfect at 32:1. I am also running the same oil in my bike. Next week I am going riding in a place that's mostly sand dune type terrain. I will be running K2 at 20:1. So we shall see how it handles that ratio.

BTW in regards to Maxima K2. I have been running it and am very impressed thus far. I pulled the decompression valve and spark plug on my stock 562xp and I am liking what I see. Very low levels deposits, very low smoke and it runs perfect at 32:1. I am also running the same oil in my bike. Next week I am going riding in a place that's mostly sand dune type terrain. I will be running K2 at 20:1. So we shall see how it handles that ratio.
I really like K2 but it got expensive so i switched to Super M which Maxima said was 60% K2.

Using Yamadope right now[emoji1]

Why don't you make up and run some of your own tests, with a saw, and then we'll all know for sure!

I do not have access to a calibrated dyno and do not have time. If I did a limited test with limited parameters I would only be able to show those limited results. I would not be able to make sweeping conclusions about all oils under all circumstances.

I do not have access to a calibrated dyno and do not have time. If I did a limited test with limited parameters I would only be able to show those limited results. I would not be able to make sweeping conclusions about all oils under all circumstances.
Yea,.no use doing a test like this and doing it half assed. Timing saws in wood with human operators is the definition of half assed.

Wow that's a great way to test oil, pull the spark plug and look down the hole !!! That oil is crap!!

Latest posts

Back