Unique Question-Craftsman/Roper 3.7/18" Red Purch. 1978-1981

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HauntedByWaters

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings All,

Its honor to be a member of such a "non trash-talking" forum. I have read all the Posts Pertaining to my saw but none address my question.

Note: I am extremely familliar with the saw and its history but it will not arrive until Tuesday (ground ship). I wanted my wife who was up in Boston to try to check it on her return flight. (J/K). Hence, I'm relying on memory.

Question: A lot of detail below. Well Kept 3.7/18 Craftsman/Roper (Dad's since new maybe 80 hrs-1 once a yr then winterized); been stored in climate controled area and not used for 8 yrs with no fluid and protecting oil. Hurricane hit. Stores sold out. I need asap. Was planning complete rebuild but it looks like parts maybe an issue. Definately going to have to make some gaskets and O-rings; recomendation on material sold by sheet thats not for sale or free at grocery?

Should I fill her up and cross my fingers or do I risk scoring the cylinder. With a 2 stroke I need fuel/oil mix to get a compression test correct? What is OK range, considering valve. Is 16/1 still accurate with modern synthetics? I know it has spark (last dec-dry test not good); what

Background:

My father Bought the Saw when he was working a second job at Sears in the tool department.
He thinks he bought it when I was 1 y/o 1981 (but he worked there from 78-81)
He got the saw for a "deal" because the bar was bent when shipped to store, plus his employee discount.
At the time someone "in the know" recommended he go to a pro (its now a Stihl Dealer) and buy the bar.
He put an 18" Oregon Bar on it. He thinks he also had something done to the "gear" (flywheel) but has the original one with the manual and receipts-so original is currently not on way. (I didn't realize my OCD mother was privy to chainsaw matters so I didn't ask-but I guess she has every receipt for every chain, the initial purchase, manual, etc).
The aforesaid, suggests that whatever was done kept it current until he last used it in 2003 as he replaced the bar at least 4 times and bought a lot (relative to its light usage) of chains on a walk in walk out basis at the stihl dealer.
He used it at least once a yr (routinely) from 81-till 2003. Probabally 25 days over 22 yrs with a total of 70-90 hrs (with me secretly using it several times for minutes).
He was obsessive about its maintance (he always gets 250,000 miles ot of his cars-all orginal except maintainence), never having a problem, but replacing parts that he thought might fail (and "that would happen after a hurricaine or blizzard"). He had it professional tuned up. Always ran it dry before storage, flushed bar and chain oil with less viscous non-corrosative dissolates. Always applied "machine" oil before storage-which I actually think hurt the paint-nothing else.
To make a long story short he babied it. After the last time he used it in 2003 he we to Sears to get whatever parts he could for the future and they basically rediculed him. He essentially disowned it. I that winter, having always wanted it "thought ahead" and hid it in the back of my mothers Cedar Closet. It remained there until I took it out this past Winter to ask for it and when he said yes I took it and brought it to my inlaws; where we stay when we are in town.

I had planned on doing a complete overhaul but I, today just got hit by a hurricane and my yard is filled with large living branches green leaves. I am certain all stores in the area are out of decents saws. I actually warranty replaced some old tools at sears and they had nothing. Last week I was amazed at how crappy there saws are; they sell Husky Lawnmowers why not saws. Regardless, If I was buying a saw I would get a Stihl MS440 so I could use it for firewood when I move back up north-I know its overkill but I've used a 660 (granted I scared myself initially).

Sorry about grammer/spelling but have been up for 24 hrs trying to decide whether to order now or?? I have a lawyer for a neighbor and a limb I ccant lift is in his yard.

Many Thanks,
Brian

Modern oils are alot different than the old motor oil recommended by most saw manufacturers back in the day.
Most everybody on here runs 32:1 or 40:1 in their older saws. Id stick with a good brand.

Parts may be available, but would take a little time to get to you.
Might just be easier to find somebody in the area to help you out, then rebuild the saw to have a backup plan.

Pour good 32-1 mix down the carb venturi and crank the saw until it runs off the mix in the tank and cut your problems up. Then, when you have time, do a proper maintenance on it, run it dry, and store it again. Don't spend gobs of money.
Igpoe:cheers:

Looks like I missed a Sears saw thread........ Hard to believe but it happens from time to time.

I like the old Sears saws myself and own quite a few, I just sold a NOS 1979 Craftsman 3.7/18 on ebay the other day. I still have three saws like it, one running and two parts units, and one running earlier style 3.7. Unfortunately new parts are long gone for these saws and you may be down to restoring used parts and/or modifying other parts to fit the saw. I do have those two parts saws here and can help you out some.

Here is the one I just sold. It had been sitting on a shelf since new and had never had fuel put in it.

100_2402.jpg

100_2404.jpg

100_2406.jpg

100_2405.jpg

Looks like I missed a Sears saw thread........ Hard to believe but it happens from time to time.

I like the old Sears saws myself and own quite a few, I just sold a NOS 1979 Craftsman 3.7/18 on ebay the other day. I still have three saws like it, one running and two parts units, and one running earlier style 3.7. Unfortunately new parts are long gone for these saws and you may be down to restoring used parts and/or modifying other parts to fit the saw. I do have those two parts saws here and can help you out some.

Here is the one I just sold. It had been sitting on a shelf since new and had never had fuel put in it.

100_2402.jpg

100_2404.jpg

100_2406.jpg

100_2405.jpg

i need a air filter and its cover and uh bar and chain so do u have them

I've owned and used one like that for over 25 years. I don't see any reason to start fixing it if there is not a problem, especially since new parts are nonexistent. I mix 3 1/2 oz of oil and 1 oz of Seafoam per gallon of gas. Mix some gas up and use it for what you need.
Cannon

Latest posts

Back