Belt to chain whisper chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I cannot get the drive belt situation right on my chipper. It has a 2v pulley on it and Altec thinks it probably had 4 from factory. 2 individual belts flex too much and pop off. Anyway, what about convertimg it to a sprocket setup? Do you need some absorption from the belts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I don't recommend a poly chain belt as they're extremely expensive. I would recommend a banded belt as they perform better. Also, it sounds like the engine needs to be pulled away from the drum or disc. Loosen motor mount bolts and move the engine towards the tongue of the chipper.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

I don't recommend a poly chain belt as they're extremely expensive. I would recommend a banded belt as they perform better. Also, it sounds like the engine needs to be pulled away from the drum or disc. Loosen motor mount bolts and move the engine towards the tongue of the chipper.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400
I was thinking a steel drive chain.

I wouldn't recommend a steel chain as it will break links. Steel chains don't work on stump grinders and wood chippers. You may want to go to a 4 groove pulley and a 4 groove belt if there is room on the shafts to do so. If there isn't room, I would go with a 2 groove banded belt. For example, Bandit's usually come with 4 separate belts and we convert them to a 4 banded belt and the chipper seems to perform better with the banded belt as all 4 bands are working.

I wouldn't recommend a steel chain as it will break links. Steel chains don't work on stump grinders and wood chippers. You may want to go to a 4 groove pulley and a 4 groove belt if there is room on the shafts to do so. If there isn't room, I would go with a 2 groove banded belt. For example, Bandit's usually come with 4 separate belts and we convert them to a 4 banded belt and the chipper seems to perform better with the banded belt as all 4 bands are working.
Is there any place that could get me a 4v pulley? When I bought it, it have a 2v banded belt that worked great. When it wore out, the 2v belt I got to replace it seemed more elastic and eventually chewed itself up. 2 individual belts flap way too much and pop off. I even made a tensioner midway which helped some. The belts are adjusted very tight too. I did just order a cog banded v belt that seems like its constructed the same as the original one. It should be here any day.

Back