Bench Full O Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was waiting for paint to dry on the muffler job today...got a lil bored....lined up my saws (along with my sons) and took a picture. In order of appearance from left to right...345..346..357..372..394.

Jeff

Huskyman, nothing against white and orange saws....I just got a good deal on the Huskies. The way the Husky dealers are going out of business, I may be running Stihl's in the future.

Jeff

Originally posted by YUKON 659
Huskyman, nothing against white and orange saws....I just got a good deal on the Huskies. The way the Husky dealers are going out of business, I may be running Stihl's in the future.

Jeff

Husky dealers going out of business ?

HMMM can anyone say online sales ?

HMMM new 3120XP's for $750 ?

Anyone see a pattern ?

Just my random thoughts,
Bill

Hmm, Stihl sure needs to get it's head out of it's arse regarding online and box store sales, huh?

Though the thing with the Husky dealers may have as much to do with having to carry the full line of equipment (does that include sewing machines?).

I don`t think it`s the on-line sales as much as it is having to carry all of the other outdoor equipment. Furthermore, most of their other outdoor equipment is way overpriced for the quality level in my opinion so the dealer is at a disadvantage based on that fact alone even if he is in an area that needs another lawnmower shop.A $750 3120 looks sadly like an attempt by a dealer to sell enough to remain a dealer. I know that in some areas Husky has prostituted themselves to the extent that they will take on a new dealer virtually in the same block as another dealer if he will give them a $50,000 first order, then the established dealer is left in the cold. And in areas where there is no potential new dealer they just keep cramming the other junk down the throats of the dealers who have a huge incentive to get rid of it. The current Husky marketing scheme sucks big time and despite the overall high quality of the chainsaw and trimmer line I see this type of attitude ruining the company.

Russ

One of the two husky dealers in the town I've been working in just went out of business a couple of months ago.

Husky 288, the 345 is my son's saw.....I haven't run it all that much but the little that I have....I would say it's a good saw for the money. It doesn't have the power of the 346 but it was also about $125.00 cheaper. I opened up the muffler for him and that did make quite a bit of difference in the saws performance. I posted a picture of it a while back....do a search for "345 muffler pics.".

Jeff

For what it's worth...my opinion would be to get the 346. I'm sure there are others out there who are more knowledgeable than I am but....I feel the 346 is an awesome little saw!!!!! If mine were to crap out on me tomorrow...I would buy another tomorrow!!!!!

Jeff

Brian, are you saying that I should send my new 460 Mag to Dan? I really would like to enjoy this saw :D

Russ

The logic of comparing modified saws to bigger non-modified saws goes over my head. If you take that logic to the extreme, we should all be using highly modified 011's.
Modified 011 outcuts an 020, modified 020 outcuts 026, modified 026 outcuts 046, modified 046 outcuts 090, therefore modified 011 outcuts 090!

I'm sure your pp346 cuts great Brian, but comparing it to a 460 is, well, silly.

I also like your logic that your saw will make you $50,000. Using that same logic, my dirty old drawers, complete with nasty old skid marks, will make me $100,000, because I always wear them when I work.

:D

I'm a bit with Mike on this one, though I can definitely see both sides (and suggest, Brian, that maybe you'd overlooked the light-hearted factor of his post).

Brian, your modified 346XP will outcut a stock 044 in a practical manner.&nbsp; Though I don't doubt for a minute that can be possible, I wonder what are the conditions?&nbsp; Is it in a 12" limb?&nbsp; One might use the 044 they already have out to cut a 12" limb, but would they <i>get</i> the 044 out for that?&nbsp; How about a 20" limb?&nbsp; Will your 346XP outcut it then?&nbsp; What are the configurations of the two saws (bar length; cutter profile and complement; state of sharpening; pin count on the drivers; carb adjustment and air filter condition)?

Which saw do you reckon would have greater longevity cutting to it's capacity on a regular basis?&nbsp; If you were working somewhere other than the middle of a deep woods, which saw would be less obnoxious to those nearby?&nbsp; Which saw might you possibly be <i>unable</i> to use professionally in some places?

Those are some of the things I consider.

I realize that there's probably not more than fifty bucks difference between them, so cost is not a factor.&nbsp; I'm in no way opposed to the concept of modifying a piece of equipment for the enjoyment and satisfaction that can be derived, but I don't think it's necessarily correct to say a modified smaller saw can effectively displace a stock larger saw in an inventory as a matter of standard practice.

Also, though we probably all know what you mean, it might be more proper to say the saw will <i>help you earn</i> 50k <i>quicker and/or easier</i> than to suggest the saw will earn it for you, because the saw by itself will not earn a penny unless maybe it goes unused and appreciates in value.&nbsp; I understand what you said to be your version of the rationale we all use to justify better-than-basic tools for our trades: "good tools don't cost you money, they <i>make</i> you money".&nbsp; I've used that a time or two, too; sometimes ingenuously.

Glen

Glens, I agree with Brian, and not only to disagree with you, LOL. It`s apparent that You and Mike haven`t run any properly modified saws. Frankly I was skeptical also when Gypo first started spouting off about the merits and wonders of Walkerized saws, my only experience with modified saws was for weekend races at the local bars and timbersports which don`t relate to daily drivers. Finally I`d heard enough from Gypo and bought a Walkerized saw, a 346. I`ll lay money that it will cut with your or anybody elses stock 036 or 357, I`ve already tried it, in fact in my experience it will outcut those saws. And keep in mind that Walker`s saws are mild by comparison to what Dennis, KD, Dozer Dan, The Rupelys, and several others build. Now I have 8 or 9 modded saws with more on the way. You have to admit that you have a bias against modified saws, it`s clear in so many of your posts. You viewpoint often sounds like a rationalization against them.

Whether or not Brian`s saw will "earn" $50K is really a matter of semantics. He is not the only one who has used such verbage and the nature of the rebuttal by you two is petty in my opinion, destructive in intent.

Yes I believe that a properly modified smaller saw can supplant the need for a larger saw, especially for a climber. My 357 Greffard is a wicked saw and has since made a stock 372 or 044 unneccessary. We discussed this in another thread about total saw longevity and I agreed that instead of the saw going to the bone pile because the cylinder is shot it will probably end up ther because the bottom end is shot too, but who cares? Does a saw needing a ring job really count as being worn out? No, but many worn out saws could be resurrected with new rings. The guy with the modded saw probably gets more of his money`s worth out of his saw before it is junk.

Do the muffler right and you should be able to work almost anywhere. Have a back up muffler for the times when it must be stock but your saw will still have more power. If your saw is a bit louder and pisses off a few more people in a neighborhood where you are working who cares? Is the sound of any chainsaw pleasant to any who aren`t chainsaw nuts like we are? get off your stump, put your prejudices aside, and try a modified saw. You`ll never go back to stock again.

Russ

Russ, I think you missed my point. Comparing a modified saw to a larger stock saw, is useless. That's like comparing a saw with a dull chain to one with a sharp chain, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, the hotsaws are great. I'm glad everyone doesn't use them, because of pollution, but I don't think the comaratively few that are out there, are a big problem. I have a kd hotsaw and most of my other saws are at least muffler modified, so I do have an understandingof hotsaws.

But If you contend that it's valid and usefull to compare a modified saw of one type, to a non-modified saw of another type, then I will prattle on endlessly, post after post, about how my sharp 046 can outcut my dull 066.

If you have any doubts that there are endless posts about a certain pp346 coming, do a search on the distel hitch and see how many posts about that, one person can make!

Hi Mike, I definitely got your last point of your last reply!

I disagree that comparing modified to stock is pointless. I feel that even the biggest and most manly of chainsaw he men will benefit from a higher power to weight ratio. With the right midsize saw like a modified 026 or 346 a guy may not need a midsize saw like an 044 or 372 that is too heavy to use for most of your work as a climbing arbo. A modified 357 makes a real nice falling and bucking saw here on the pecker pole coast. Why lug an extra 3#? My only point is that it`s nice to get away with the least amount of weight that will quickly do the job.

Russ

Well almost my only point. It`s nice to have a responsive saw in your hands also. You know what a difference a subtle mod like opening the muffler can make to an EPA stiffled saw. I no longer have any saw that hasn`t had some tweak, even if it`s only the muffler.

Russ

Back