Bench grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTreemonkey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would really like to hear some pros and cons of the oregon and stihl bench grinders. There is a big price difference in the stihl (380.00 to 699.00) and i would like to see where the extra money is. Everyone knows im a stihl man but damn i might have to lean to the oregon this time.

i have the Stihl HOS grinder.

i know guys with the Oregon.one isn't happy but he's not the brightest bulb in the pack.

i'm perfectly happy with mine and i have sharpened a lot of chains with it.it's nice and quiet.

i wish i would have looked more closely at the Maxx grinder but i couldn't find them anywhere when i was ready to buy so i got the Stihl.i buy the wheels from my dealer who usually has them in stock.

from what i could tell...........

the HOS only does chains.the other one has more adjustments for sharpening hedge trimmer blades.i do my hedge trimmers with a file so it wasn't needed.

yes.it comes with three wheels.

one for the small chains.one for the larger chains.and a thick angled wheel for the rakers.

Do a search on here for Northern Tool chain saw grinders, with a small washer modification they have the same adjustments and parts as the Oregon 511A commercial grinder but it's only $99 instead of $299. My local chainsaw shop uses a Stihl sharpener simply because he's a dealer but owns an Oregon version for his farm use. I use the Oregon model and we sharpen about 20 chains a week on average and I love it, just wish Northern had come out with their model before I bought mine lol.

i've used that Northern grinder.

you get what you pay for.you don't get much.my buddies ran for literally 5 seconds out of the box.bad switch.they sent him another but it took a while.

My northern grinder works great with the addition of the oregon wheel & with the money saved I'm that much closer to building a bigger saw. On the other hand if your going to be sharping chains all day every day then the automatic clamp feature is a must have.

you get what you pay for.you don't get much.my buddies ran for literally 5 seconds out of the box.bad switch.they sent him another but it took a while.

Northern sells two grinders under it's name, the one I'm referring is item # 193020 and sells for $99.99 at http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327449_200327449

Everyone I've talked to who uses one has great results with it once the washer and shim modification is made, but every company produces a few lemons here and there. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself and for that price it's definitely worth a shot in my book.

all the wshaers and shims came with mine.

Northern sells two grinders under it's name, the one I'm referring is item # 193020 and sells for $99.99 at http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327449_200327449

Everyone I've talked to who uses one has great results with it once the washer and shim modification is made, but every company produces a few lemons here and there. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself and for that price it's definitely worth a shot in my book.

no BS.just put it together and grind.

got an Oregon grinder but almost never use it.

hand file all my round chains, much quicker with equal results. usually 2-3 minutes per chain.

for square chains... it's backwards. always use a grinder for square chains and seldom ever hand file. I've successfully hand filed square chains to cut pretty fast, but it takes me 15-20 minutes per chain or way too time consuming.

will usually carry 12-15 extra square chains freshly ground. but only 2-3 extra round chain as it's usually faster to file on the bar.

it's square chain for everything except dirty wood.

Back