Benefits of Large Felling Dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Big

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've seen a few guys replace the factory dogs with large dogs on each side of the bar. Other than looking mean and nasty, whats the function of more and larger teeth on the dog. Not sure what I'm missing here...

:chainsaw:They just look cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chainsaw:

At least that was why I did at first!
Put them on my 044 w/ a 28" bar, now that I have used it, I wouldn't have it any other way! I can dig into bigger logs and flush cut alot easier! The dawgs really bit, which helps when you need that grip! with the length of the bar I can limb a fallen tree limbs with ease! I got to experience that on X-mas day, when a large hemlock came right across my drive!!!!!!!
First they look cool!:chainsaw:, and they are were it's at for bucking and flush cutting. Even in the Ohio region! (Hocking Hills Region!)

I am sure the west coast guys will ring in here shortly! Which is probably who ultimately really need them for that big bark on FIRS and such!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are certainly nice for biting down at that rough deeply furrowed bark, no matter what type of tree it is.

They help hold the saw when cutting. Now I'll admit that they aren't necessary if your cutting down a 6" beech tree with an 066 equipped with a 32" bar, but that's why they're there - they are necessary for the type of wood, bark, application you're using the saw for, or techniques you're using. Just because they are there when you sometimes don't need them doesn't mean you'll never use them. :)

Last edited:
One small-medium diameter trees or those with strong, shallow bark factory dogs are all you need. Cutting large diameter trees with thick crumbly bark is hard to do with most factory dogs, they just can't bite deeply enough to let you use them as a lever.

Anyone know the price and part numbers of the inner, outer dogs and is there some type of ceramic roller needed?

Larger dogs are necessary dependant on tree type/shape and the saw you have to start with.
For example, the dogs on my 7900's are very average when dealing with larger trees with odd shaped trunks. Not only the upward angled point of the bottom spikes, but the tendancy for the saw casing (by the oil filler) to hit the tree before the spikes do with the odd scarf cuts. This has been happening to me quite a bit on my current tree job with Elephant's Foot shaped trunks. My 390XP's dogs are way more effective but still not ideal in my situation.
Larger, longer dogs may be only for show with many guys, but they are of benefit in some tree felling situations. On rounder trunks with shallow bark they are not necessary.
I am thinking of getting a set of spare 3120 spikes and blending/welding them to the 7900's mounts. It is very hard to keep proper scarf angles when you are using the casing to hold the saw and not the spikes. This is why some of the trees in my "Today's Job" thread have face cuts that are basically 50% of the tree diameter. I do this as it is easier to get the 7900's spikes working properly.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Anyone know the price and part numbers of the inner, outer dogs and is there some type of ceramic roller needed?

I just use a bolt and a piece of small PVC. works great and dosnt trash the chain if you happen to throw it.

and as far as the OP goes, come out there to the west and cut a cedar with 8 inches of bark on a 60% slope, then you will know why we have big dogs and wrap bars.

For the cutting that I do, the big spikes make flush cutting a big stump easier, especially with a saw like the 7900 which was the first time that I used a saw with spikes that big.

I have a set of the big ones on the way from Bailey's for the new 372XP.

Does make the saw look better too. at least IMO.

Fallin' dogs are used as a pivot/fulcrum point when fallin' big timber. Most people have no clue how to use them properly.

Gary

Very true.

Funny seeing people using their chainsaw like a hand saw.

My stock 660 dogs work great in the oak I cut, in the gnarly soft wood bark you may need something else or cut the bark away. .

another note

i find dawgin a saw when bucking takes some strain off of my back. i think Gas is right people fail to know how to use dawgs they are are there for leverage and keeping the saw in the cut:chainsaw:

:cheers:

Back