Benefits of tree services

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Ryan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My family owns a cottage in Central Ontario. Halfway between the house and the lake was a huge maple tree, at least 15 metres tall and over 80 years old. We grew up around that tree. We had picnics at its base, and a tire swing. We watched nests being built and chicks being hatched and loved seeing the squirrels chasing each other along the branches. We played with the whirlybirds and jumped in huge piles of leaves. We even tried to tap for maple syrup. A few years ago, during a huge storm, we watched as it was struck by lightning and knocked down, fortunately towards the lake and away from the house. It was a traumatic experience. A couple of days later, the tree service came to chop it up. The arborist saw how upset we were and offered us some amazing ideas. One section of the trunk became a bench overlooking the water. A cutting near the base is now a beautiful coffee table. And we are still using the firewood at our bonfires, although the woodchips that we used for kindling are long gone. We even have a few souvenir leaves pressed between two pieces of glass. We have always appreciated the thoughtfulness and professionalism of our arborist, and still use his services.

We all instinctively know that trees are important. However, we do not generally give too much thought to trees and how much they actually affect our lives. A good tree service does more than just trim trees: it offers guidance and advice on the many aspects of tree planting.

Trees are incredibly important for the environment. They do more than just convert carbon dioxide into oxygen. They improve air quality by filtering other pollutants such as carbon monoxide, ozone and sulfur dioxide. Trees provide a cooling effect. A strong healthy tree can protect a home from weather damage. It also preserves the soil and prevents runoff, which is especially important if your house is on a hill. Trees are part of the ecological life-cycle and harbour birds, animals and insects.

Trees are expensive. However, there is an economic benefit to planting a variety of species, sizes and functions in the appropriate locations. The property value of a well-landscaped house is always higher than a non-landscaped one. Energy costs can be lowered in homes that have shade trees and windbreaks. The value of a tree increases as it grows. When carefully chosen trees are positioned properly, they can serve as an architectural addition to the home, as well as provide privacy and block views that we would rather not see.

Trees also affect us on an emotional level. They are beautiful and give us a feeling of peace and tranquility. They can truly make a house feel like a home, a calm oasis. Often, people use trees as memorials. When my grandmother passed away, we planted her favourite tree near her grave and also put a bench there. It offers us shade and a pleasant place to sit when we visit and often there will be someone sitting there, remembering their own loved ones. In the community, people may rally around an ancient tree or favourite slated to be cut down due to development.

Most people only think of using a tree service when there is a problem with their trees. Trees can become diseased, rotted, attacked by hostile species or infected with parasites. They can be destroyed in a storm or grow too close to power lines. Choosing a good tree service is one of the most important decisions you can make in regards to your property.

I got most of this information from http://www.albertaarborists.com
Good links and resources.

Excellent post, Jordan. I hope this isn't some sort of veiled spam. If not, outstanding! I agree with you wholeheartedly!

lol it's not. I am starting university in the fall and it's an essay I wrote for a scholarship through albertaarborists.com
One of the requirements is to post my essay on a forum. I had a really good time researching & writing it.

Nice job, the only thing I can add is a 80 year old maple that is only 49ft (15 metres) tall is a bit short. I would be thinking something is wrong with it, double that height would be more in keeping with a tree of that age.

Just checked with my mom, she thinks the tree may have been almost double that height.

Latest posts

Back