Benifits of fuel stabilizers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you guys like fuel stabilizers? I don't make my living with my saws so I'm dumping unused gas mix every 6 weeks. What brands of stabilizers do you like and how long will the mixes stay good? Are there any problems adding fuel stabilizers? Thanks for your help!

Stihl (and I think Husky too) mix comes with stabilizers already in the mix. In summer, I use the stuff faster than it would get stale so I don't bother. But in winter I usually add some Sta-Bil to the mix because they might sit for a while, and its cheap insurance.

I think it would be very usefull, in the fall, if you could remember to use it before putting your equipment away for the winter just to keep varnishing to a minimum. I know a couple of guys who run Echo oil just because they never remember and they want their saws to start in the spring.
John.................

Many brands of fuel stabilizers available out there some are strictly Octane boosters sold as stabilizers. The most popular real stabilizers are brands such as Sta-Bil or Fresh Start from Briggs & Stratton or the Tecumseh engine brand. Fresh-Start claims to keep gas fresh for up to 24 months which is the longest I know of.

Wow, I guess I got it backwards, but I use my saws more in the winter than in the summer.

But yes, I always use stabilizers. Have used both Briggs & Stratton & Sta-bil with good results and no adverse effects. During most of the year, I go through gas pretty fast, but during slow periods, I never think about gas age or throw it away any more.

I am another Sta Bil user. Everything I feed from a gas can gets it, two and four cycle engines, especially the generator that sits for long periods of time "waiting" to be used.

Last summer I had a batch of untreated fuel get stale in less than 30 days. It was in my mowing tractor, a machine that usualy gets operated on a weekly basis but sat idle during a dry spell. The fuel takn was exposed to the hot sun and the fuel went stale and the tractor would not start until I drained and refilled the fuel tank.

Latest posts

Back