Bent Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have two adjacent Birches approximately 35 feet high that have bent due to an ice storm. They have not recovered on their own, nor have the trunks cracked at all. What would be the best way to straighten them?

either guying or CAREFUL tip reduction or both. Can't say more without a picture.

Yes, overbended trees will not strighten completely, not saying that will not remarkably strighten itself at all. I have used in the case of very overbended trees their pulling with rope to the oposite direction over the tree vertical (bended then to the oposite direction) and keeping them several days on that position. This helps remarkably, but usually not removes completely the bending

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that with the ropes and then cabling them together. What sort of store sells these types of caling systems?

please consult a local arborist, or at least post a picture here. I can't tell you what to buy without knowing more.

Back