Bent raker became broken raker ..... chian still OK to run ... right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Cutting through old oak (been standing dead for at least 10 years) at my mother's place for her winter firewood. Working with the MS 361. Brought a spare chain that was a brand new STIHL full skip chain. When chain #1 started making small chips, I switched them out - now have chain #2 on the saw. Finished the days work just fine.

Got home to put a file to chain #2 and found 1 of the rakers bent "outwards" so far that the file wouldn't fit on the cutter. Odd - there was no other damage to the chain that I could see - must be a manufacturing defect???. Got dumb for a second and grabbed some pliers to "bend" the raker back - yeah broke it off. (Note to self; hard steel is often brittle.)

Now I have an 84 link Stihl chain with one broken raker. I'm thinking I shouldn't have any trouble running it, but thought I'd ask here.

I can run the chain, right?

There's a few threads on this subject. No experience myself, but do a search. Can also find them using a Google search of "missing chain raker"

Good advise

I agree with Brad.I've used chain with broken rakers but noticed especially when making the diagonal "scarf cut" the over feeding/uneven feeding was evident.I'd only recommend using that chain in a jam.Gary

You could just break the chain and replace the damaged part. If not, run it like Brad said.

I would prefer to have the entire cutter missing (like a skip tooth chain) than have a cutter without a depth gauge, that could be grabby and vibrate.

If you have a spinner and breaker, or know someone who does, you can simply replace that link. Or take it to a dealer, who might charge you $6 or so to do this. Not that much if it is a fairly good chain.

Philbert

My main top handle had a chain like that on it until i had sharpend all the teeth off of it over time. But i mostly used it on palms. I can't see how one would hurt.

definetly grind it off or put a new cutter in it. without it being gone it will be grabby at that part in the chain, and throw a big hunk of wood in your face. been there done that.

Latest posts

Back