Bent tree question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a big Cherry (old line tree) that blew down a year ago and on the way over it took 2 smaller cherries with it. The 2 smaller are 6-8 inches and are bent completely over but not broken anywhere on the trunk. Guy we share the fence line with wants nothing to do with any of the wood. SO, i am either just going to cut firewood or have it milled. Probably just firewood as at least part of the big cherry is hollow. My question is how do you approach the bent over trees? I have cut hard leaners and such but nothing completely bent over. I dont have pics, will try to get a couple this weekend if i make it to our land.

Hi, first I would try pulling the large cherry off the two smaller trees with a tractor and chain, and see if this releases the tension. If you dont have access to equipment to pull the large tree, you can stand inside the arch of the tree under tension and slowly and carefully make a series of small shallow cuts to the top (tension) side of the arched trees. After some of the tension is released you can then cut through the tree, just make sure you stay inside the arch to avoid being hit if the tree springs.

Hope I have described this clearly enough. Be safe.:cheers:

I have a tractor, but i would need to limb it and buck into logs to be able to move it i think. Tight quarters and not a huge tractor (48 horse). I just wanted to get those 2 that are bent over out of play before i started working on the main tree.

I understand what you are describing though, and makes sense.

Latest posts

Back