best 35-40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that size? Whatever you can score locally for free to ten bucks and slap a carb kit and fuel line and filters in it to get it running.

Does not matter/make/model that much. Put a quality sharp chain on it.

Unless you are a full time pro, meh..no need to buy expensive new. Used is good enough. Save a saw from the scrapyard!

Anything that small will cut wood fine *within its design parameters*, and there are SO many small homeowner saws out there that need a new home with someone who will actually maintain them.

I tend to like the smaller poulans, easy to work on, parts all over. Owned by husky group, yes, but made in USA!

Anything with antivibe components. I don't like the rigid body saws that much..well, they run good and cut good, but vibrate.

Of the 35/40cc saws currently available, I would spend my money on a redmax G3800. Old stock is still available. Next in line would be another RedMax, the GZ4500. The Dolly 420/421 looks to be a very well made saw, but the weight is almost in the 50cc range. I am happy with my 'old' Dolmar ps401, but would like to have a Shindaiwa 377. The Stihl 241 and Husqvarna 543 should both be out soon, But both are heavier than I would really like to see in a 40cc lightweight.

Off Topic: Right now I'm really wanting a ms150t.

I like lightweights for some of what I do.

If you buy anywhere but a dealer, be aware that most saws will need to be properly tuned right out of the box.

That would be my choice. My little 025 has good power with the so-called 18" bar (more like 17") with just a muffler mod and a retune. (and a $25 wt-215 so I can adjust the H jet) 16" would be even better.

I was going to upsize it to an 18" bar (it has the power), but I already have an MS 361 for heavier work. So, I ruled that out for now. Regardless, this saw is a diamond in the rough, and several are available regularly. I suppose I lucked out by getting one with an engine in really good shape. Regardless, permit me to be a "proud Papa" with a new 10-lb baby that cuts like a bandit. :)

anything that you can buy at the box stores

I guess I meant what poulan models are huskys? When did they do the merge? That 1950 I had was a 01' I think 36cc? To be honest it ran really good after I MM it and gave it some fuel.

I know that you ask for the best 35-40cc saw and I know that the Jonsered 2245 is 45cc's but I wanted to say that I just got one a couple days ago and I am pretty impressed with it. With the sale my dealer had on the Jonsereds I got it for $259.00

Attachments

• cs-2245.jpg
    cs-2245.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
What's the difference between a husky 235 and a 435?

235 is poulan based

240 is poulan based

435 -460 is husqvarna

I have a 435 for sale if you are interested. PM me!

I also have a 2175 poulan aswell!

Dolmar or an ECHO. If you can find a Dolmar ps401 get it. It's old technology but man is it light. Has plenty of torque. It's lighter than my echo cs 310, which runs like a Banshee once I modded the muffler and tuned it. The echo cs 400 is nice, I haven't modded mine yet but will soon. The dolmar ps401 has a cheesy starter and doesn't have an adjustable oiler. The echo cs 400 has an adjustable oiler. I like that so that I can turn it down and run canola oil occasionally. The Echo cs 310 is non-adjustable also. The echos start real easy but the old dolmar 401 is lighter and runs well. I look for recon saws at HomeDepot and often find good deals...almost feel as though I've walked out with a saw down my pants...lol

Poulan 1950

Newish member here, ive been reading a lot and not posting much. On with the story! Last weekend I was helping a friend up on his families land clearing some trails and make some shooting lanes. Anyways we decided to ride the wheelers up to the bar for lunch. during that hour or so somebody thought they needed my cheapo poulan 2040 more then I did. It was given to me and after some De-EPAing it worked well for what I used it for. I prefer to have nicer equipment but it never gave me any trouble in the 5-6 years i had it so yea... I know I could find another one for $20 CL but id be willing to spend more for something better.

edit- I lied to you guys it was a poulan 1950. 2040 is the JD we have at work.

I'm working on a Poulan 1950 right now, gettin' it running. A friend bought it at a yard sale for $20.00 and gave it to me cause he knew I had CAD and he owed me a favor. Gonna fire it up this morning after installing the new primer bulb.

Got this one on E-Bay for $75. Broken brake band was all that was wrong with it. Started on second pull- looks like new. At 9.2 lbs. and for $75 bucks, I would say a decent limbing and brush saw for the money. I know it's a homeowner saw, but it cuts like a banshee. At least it's a Husqvarna.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 80
I too agree a Echo cs400 or husqvarna 435 is a good choice. the echo after being muffler modded is my first choice. it has more usable features and a tad more torque. a nice feature when you need to buck some stuff bigger than 8 inches. it will also bury the bar nicely for a 40cc saw when you just don't want to pick up a heavier saw.

Of the 35/40cc saws currently available, I would spend my money on a redmax G3800. Old stock is still available. Next in line would be another RedMax, the GZ4500. The Dolly 420/421 looks to be a very well made saw, but the weight is almost in the 50cc range. I am happy with my 'old' Dolmar ps401, but would like to have a Shindaiwa 377. The Stihl 241 and Husqvarna 543 should both be out soon, But both are heavier than I would really like to see in a 40cc lightweight.

Off Topic: Right now I'm really wanting a ms150t.

I like lightweights for some of what I do.

If you buy anywhere but a dealer, be aware that most saws will need to be properly tuned right out of the box.

The GZ4000 is a great little saw, light, nimble and powerful, like a 40CC should be. I agree, the Dolmar 420/421 is a nice saw, but it's too heavy for the class.

Dolmar 420/421 and you will not regret it. Who cares if it weighs towards the 50cc mark? It also cuts almost like one. When handling and using it in real life it feels great. I'm tired of that stupid "heavy" line. If you can't hold 10lbs, get your ass to the nearest chair and stay out of the woods. ;)

Dolmar 420/421 and you will not regret it. Who cares if it weighs towards the 50cc mark? It also cuts almost like one. When handling and using it in real life it feels great. I'm tired of that stupid "heavy" line. If you can't hold 10lbs, get your ass to the nearest chair and stay out of the woods. ;)

To bad you can't "like" a post more than once.

The Dolmar 350/351 34.7cc
The Dolmar 420/421 42.4cc

Neither really qualifies to be 35-40 does it? Closer than some of the suggestions here though.

Probably the most expensive top handle saw or a rear handle variant of it would be the answer to the title of this thread. Certainly if you are clearing trail on a dirt bike the top handle works better with a sling over the shoulder and a hole through the bar and scabbard. The price and theft aspect in the text of post 1 don't seem to indicate this choice though at least to me.

Latest posts

Back